How to tell if an old gas cookstove is NG or Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryT

Oct 27, 2010
SW Missouri
Looking online at an old Universal Gas Cookstove, probably circa 1950's and I'd like to find out if its NG or propane. What questions do I need to ask the seller IF there is not a tag or other info on the stove? I did send them an email asking but have yet to hear back from them. I know I maybe jumping the gun but just wanted to know.

You may have to look at the burner orifice.
A larger diameter hole, say 1/16" or larger, is GENERALLY
indicative of NG as it is delivered at a lower pressure than LP.

Make sure the oven is equipped with a pilot, as many gas ranges from that era were match light. Those do not meet code anymore. A safety pilot can be retrofit, but, it is an expensive repair. Beyond that, ranges are easily converted from nat to LP and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.