How to tell if your wood is dry enough.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
With your lips?? Yah, I can see my wife asking if the wood is dry enough and I tell her to shove it in her mouth and blow!

You really need to read the Oil post in the ash can

babalu87 said:
This is from the Morso website.

You can check yourself whether the firewood is sufficiently dry by smearing detergent on one end of a log and blowing through the other. If the soap bubbles, the firewood is sufficiently dry.

Take that VC ;)

http://www.morsoe.com/us/Before_buying/Fuel_types/

HA, HA, IT ACTUALLY WORKS! I was dumb enough to try it. So Babs, have you tried it yet?

The mind boggles. I have this mental image. All over the country tonight people will be...

Havent tried it , I just found it on the MORSO website today

and this from the same website.....

"Coke contains little gas, and only few stoves are designed for coke firing as it requires a thick layer to ensure a good fuel economy. Morsø’s 3310 is specially designed for coke firing."

That really doesn't sound economical to me.... I'm not sure how many BTU's it has in it... plus try explaining that to the DEA officers when they come a knockin' on your door in the middle of the night... "but officer... those 20 kilo's out in the shed are for heating the house... really!!" :smirk:

Very nice, but, that's nuts. I'll stick to banging a couple logs together. Or checking the weight. Or maybe not caring all that much log to log, because mos tof the pile's dry, and the couple that aren't perfect will be plenty dry about 10 minutes after they go in the stove.

Steve

Makes you wonder how they expect you to tell if you are running your stove too hot :gulp:

Want to try that with this stick O wood?

Attachments

• Wood 1.jpeg
    Wood 1.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 451
  • Wood 2.jpeg
    Wood 2.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 452
wrenchmonster said:
Andre B. said:

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

-Kevin

That is some hornbeam you want to watch it when you cut it as you often find some neat stuff.

Here is one I used as a railing corner post on a stairway landing.

Attachments

• 100_0484 small.jpg
    100_0484 small.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 442
Two questions. 1. where is Monica
2. What is is

Andre B. said:

Y'know, I was just sittin' back enjoying this thread and then I saw Andre's pix. Suddenly I feel so, so -- violated! Dirty! Ashamed! I think I need to go take a shower :grrr:

On a lighter note, I actually persuaded Wifey to try the blow-on-the-split test, though only after several tall glasses of her favorite white zinfandel. Unfortunately, I had no splits in the storage ring that even remotely resembled the ones in Andre's collection. Even worse, I didn't even get any pix.

As for myself, I'll stick with my trusty 20-buck moisture meter from Chinese Frei, rrrrr, I mean, Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2757

Status
Not open for further replies.