How to tell the style of my house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule69

Nov 17, 2015
Detroit, Mi
I have a 1910 house. It is a one story house with 10 or 12 foot ceilings not sure but will measure soon.has a walk in attic and a full basement.
l224e8e42-m0xd-w640_h480_q80.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Tom

That's a good question that can be tricky to answer, especially for houses that have been renovated many times. In my experience the worst thing you can do is ask a real estate agent ;lol

That house looks like it could be a kind of Folk Victorian... especially if it used to have a lot of fancy ornate trim that was removed at some point (common when the wrap them in platic wrap.. err.. vinyl siding) . Or there could be some Craftsman house elements as well, though it doesn't have a typical craftsman shape.

Some places to start reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_house_styles
http://architecture.about.com/od/periodsstyles/ig/House-Styles/Folk-Victorian.htm

Or look for a book in your library called "A field guide to American Houses"

Or come and join the historic district old home owners forum and we can try to help you out.

You enter in the dinning room and have two bedrooms off the dinning room . When looking at the bedrooms to the left is the living room and to the right is the kitchen and the bathroom door is in the kitchen.

I have a 1910 house. It is a one story house with 10 or 12 foot ceilings not sure but will measure soon.has a walk in attic and a full basement. View attachment 169579

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Tom
Any original details left in the interior, ie woodwork, moldings, built ins etc...

Nothing. Looks like they took everything out and put up paneling and drop ceilings throughout the house. No moldings above the drop ceilings

There were a lot of influences on building style around the turn of that century with Victorian styling being pushed aside for arts and crafts and craftsman style bungalows all of which had labor intensive molding and design elements which over the decades in many cases have been replaced with simpler less costly trim and design.
The roof overhangs and peaks say Craftsman style or possible original influences to me but I'm no expert.

I would guess it was built as a Victorian cottage, but with all the details gone its hard to confirm. Surely could have been built more efficiently. Style was important to the builder.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Status
Not open for further replies.