How to test Manual Reset High Limit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OJDart

Nov 14, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
My St. Croix has been shutting itself off shortly after starting a new fire. First it was the #2 light, so I installed new combustion fan, proof of fire switch, and vacuum switch. Now it's the #3 light. Tested the convection fan after thorough cleaning and it works fine, so that leaves the manual reset high limit switch, as far as the manual goes, unless there's an electric problem with the fan.

Starting with the manual reset high limit switch, I don't know anything about it --
  • What does it reset?
  • How to know if it needs to be reset?
  • How to know if it's working?
If the problem is in the electrical wiring of the convection fan, where do I start to correct that?

Any and all help will be appreciated. I'm still on a steep learning curve.

Happy Thanksgiving to all,
My St. Croix has been shutting itself off shortly after starting a new fire. First it was the #2 light, so I installed new combustion fan, proof of fire switch, and vacuum switch. Now it's the #3 light. Tested the convection fan after thorough cleaning and it works fine, so that leaves the manual reset high limit switch, as far as the manual goes, unless there's an electric problem with the fan.

Starting with the manual reset high limit switch, I don't know anything about it --
  • What does it reset?
  • How to know if it needs to be reset?
  • How to know if it's working?
If the problem is in the electrical wiring of the convection fan, where do I start to correct that?

Any and all help will be appreciated. I'm still on a steep learning curve.

UPDATE:
Found out the high limit switch is about the augur feed, which is not the problem. So the question is now How to check the wiring of the convection fan? I took the wires from the fan, attached an electric plug, and the fan worked, so the issue goes to the wiring in the stove. I checked the control box fuse, and it is also working, so it's somewhere in the stove body.

Status
Not open for further replies.