How to Tighten and Adjust Pacific Energy Door Handle Latch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamel

Feb 3, 2013
MA
Hey everyone! Hopefully someone can help me with these. Does anyone know how to adjust the door handle on a Pacific Energy to tighten the door latch? Long story short, I had my PE Vista replaced due to cracked welds and used the same door from the old stove on the replacement one. For some reason the door latch is a whole lot looser on the replacement stove. I don't think the gasket needs replacement as I've only used it for a season and a half and it fit nice and snug on the old stove. I notice as the stove heats up that the door latch becomes even looser. It takes very little effort to open the door. There's got to be a way to adjust the door latch. Could someone explain to me how? Thanks a bunch!

Here's a pic of my door latch.

Attachments

• DSC018501.jpg
    DSC018501.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 927
  • DSC018511.jpg
    DSC018511.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 744
Gently tap the latch receiver at the top with a hammer to snug it up a bit.

Gently tap the latch receiver at the top with a hammer to snug it up a bit.

Thanks begreen. I thought that there might be something on the door handle I could adjust, but I guess not. I was too afraid to hammer the latch receiver on the stove so I ended up taking it off. It's attached to the stove with a bolt. I put it into a vice and tapped it with a hammer to bend it a bit to make the latch tighter. It worked beautifully! Nice and snug now. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.