How to tighten the doors on my fisher grandma bear. Made in 1984

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redwings618

Oct 17, 2011
north central ohio
I have a fisher grandma bear. Made in 1984. When the doors are closed and locked, the left door will move back and forth. It rattles when the fire is drawing air. How can I fix this so the doors lock more tight. It rattles to the point I would not consider it an airtight stove anymore .

Your stove does not use a simple wedge at the top for the latch rod to pull the door tight. It is a notch with a ramp like angle to catch the latch rod. Latch rod possibly bent?? This is the later design made to prevent quick opening of the doors. Only the right door latch moves.

The right door should only be able to be closed as follows; (If you can just close it, it is not correct)

The handle must be rotated to the right. (clockwise) Close door, and open slightly. Rotate counterclockwise as far as it will go. Close door fully. Now when rotating clockwise, it will catch on the ramp, and the farther you turn clockwise, the tighter it gets. When the rod is bent correctly, both handles will be at the same angle with doors latched.
Since only the right door pulls in tight, it overlaps the left door that must be closed first, pulling the left door tight to the iron door seal channel.

This should be the procedure to open. If not, the latch rod is bent.

upload_2015-10-24_17-23-4.png
Try closing and latching just the right door with left door open. Does it work as described and pull in tight?

The original poster sent me these photos before and after adjusting door latch rod. Problem solved.

"When the rod is bent correctly, both handles will be at the same angle with doors latched".

GM III Before Adjustment-001.jpg Before GM III After Adjustment-001.jpg After

As stated in other threads, heating the latch rod and bending toward door should be done with rod heated with torch at bend to prevent the rod from relaxing back to original position when fired. The rod bends easy with a large wrench, but don't be temped to do it quick cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.