how to turn up oiler on Stihl 261?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Can someone please give me a quick and dirty step by step on how and where to adjust the automatic oiler on an approximately year old Stihl 261?

In my opinion the chain could stand to be a lot more visibly wet (which it is not, at all) (and I have checked to make sure nothing is clogged, and the oil in the reservoir does indeed go down), 'cause even shortly after I sharpen it (carefully), it's seeming dry and smoky in cutting through some yellow birch.

Thanks!

are the rails in your bar cleaned out regularly? I use a feeler gauge to clean out my bar after every big job I do (a worn-out utility knife blade or even an old paint scraper would suffice) to clean out my rails. Also make sure your oil inlet holes on the bar are open and free from sawdust too. And something that is often overlooked is make sure the bar is clean where it mates to the saw and bar cover, you'll need a scraper to clean that from time to time. It makes a HUGE difference in the performance of the oiler. That is where I would start.

one other thing.....is your saw a pro model? I did some reading and from what I see on the older ms260's only the pro models had an adjustable oiler. Not sure about the 261's.

one other thing.....is your saw a pro model? I did some reading and from what I see on the older ms260's only the pro models had an adjustable oiler. Not sure about the 261's.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do make it a point to really clean the bar and where the bar and the saw meet. I do not know if it is a pro model, nor do I know how I would go about finding out- any suggestions on that? It is only about 2 years old.

Can someone please tell me where on the saw I would look for the oiler adjustment if it has an adjustment?

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I do make it a point to really clean the bar and where the bar and the saw meet. I do not know if it is a pro model, nor do I know how I would go about finding out- any suggestions on that? It is only about 2 years old.

Can someone please tell me where on the saw I would look for the oiler adjustment if it has an adjustment?

Thanks!
I don't have a 261 (I have a 260 PRO and a couple old 026), but if it is adjustable, it will be on the underside of the saw. Did you get an owner's manual with the saw? If not, maybe this page from Stihl's web site will help (you have to click on the 'Features' tab to read about the oiler adjustment): http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms261cq/

Reactions: ScotO
Reactions: quads
Status
Not open for further replies.