How to use insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Hello
Please forgive my ignorance - I am BRAND new to the fireplace insert. Yesterday I was trying to use it for the first time. I have Englander 50-SNC13I. My questions is - what is a general rule to keep the room warm? I.e. after fire stared use large logs? Keep an air intake open/close? I know it sounds funny, but when I open the stove door I am getting much more heat than with burning fire behind the door.
Please advise.
Thanks

When you open the door you have more radiant heat from coals, and the fire burns faster from more air access. There are a few ways to do it, and I don't have that stove. However- get a few small pieces going until they start to coal up. Load the stove. Leave air open until the firebox is full of fire for 15 mins, shut the air half way. If it's still firey- shut the air down. If it's still firey- with no smoke at the chimney, then you're good. If it's not burning well enough, then let in more ir for a while.

I assume that you have the blower on when it heats up- an insert really needs a blower to kick out the heat.

edit: bigger pieces burn longer- save them for over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.