How to use surge suppressor when cleaning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbix

Burning Hunk
Feb 13, 2009
OH
Stove is plugged into a midlevel surge suppressor. When cleaning the stove, I unplug it so the exhaust fan doesn't run (mfg recommendation). Is it best to switch off the surge suppressor, or simply unplug the stove from the ss? I ask as my stove lost its mind last spring (processor got scrambled), and I don't know why. Occasionally I'd see a spark as I'd plug the stove into the suppressor post cleaning.

On another note, as I picked up pellets at HD (price too good to pass up), clerk asked me about pellet stoves. Eric, you might get a phone call from someone in Salem OH!

In general, it's best to turn the switch off instead of unplugging. But only slightly if the stove isn't running.

When you turn the switch off, the ground and neutral are still connected, which gives the circuit board someplace to dump any extra energy it may have stored. This is especially true if you need to stop the stove while any motors are running. When you turn the electricity to a motor off, it turns into a generator, and it can create a significant amount of energy. If you unplug the stove, this energy has no where to go and it can potentially cause damage to your circuit board if it is not properly designed.

Safe bet is to turn the switch off, wait about 5 secs and then unplug.

On my stove manufacture says keep the vent fan going, the dust goes out the vent, works.

I am old school and always unplug, you don't have a chances of accidentally turning on the power or someone else turning it on by mistake.

I just turn my stove off on the top. I never unplug it or the ss. Am I doing something wrong?????

Status
Not open for further replies.