how u doing on next years pile?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooserider said:
wendell said:
I guess I'm not smart enough to use the quote feature correctly. Sorry to be off topic but wondering why my response got included in the quote.

The trick with the quote feature (and most of the other features) is to watch the "tags" - the little blocks of text in square brackets. For quoting, they will say "quote" at the beginning, and "/quote" at the end (the first quote generated by the software when you use the Quote reply button will also have some other stuff in it) Anything within a pair of blocks will be quoted, anything not in them won't be - what gets tricky is when you have a couple layers of quoting, or if you are breaking things up to mix your replies in with the quoted bits - what I will often do is hit the "Preview Post" button first to see if everything is right, then adjust the tags as needed - either moving them, or fixing an extra or missing slash... It's hard to do an example since the software will insist on processing those tags... :long:

As to using T-posts (or pipes, etc) for the ends of stacks, one thing I've found useful that I didn't see Pagey doing is to tie a rope between them about 3-4 feet up. Use a decent weather proof rope that won't stretch much (I tend to use ~1/4" poly rope, fairly strong and cheap) and tie it fairly snug across the top of the stack when you have it built up to the 3-4' level, (make the top as flat as you can) then keep on stacking on top of the rope, which will help to anchor it in place - this will help keep the T-posts from spreading under the load of the wood, and keeps you from needing to drive them in as deep. You don't have to get the rope real tight, as the splits above will push it into the gaps in the row below, tightening it up and anchoring it even further.

Gooserider

Good idea, Goose. I'll have to try that one once the ground thaws back out again.

Gettin' a little better over here- I think I'll cut some bicuits. Just gotta watch that I don't over do it.............

Cut a few biscuits yesterday, gettin' set for some 20* nights.........

Here's my start on next year. Bought this "cord" for $150 this fall. All oak and maple. Split it up over the past couple of weekends all by hand. Nice small splits for the castine. I'd say its closer to 1.2 cord. There's 100 cubic feet on the front row, probably close to 50 cubic behind it. Good deal, great wood.

Attachments

• Wood7.JPG
    Wood7.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Wood8.JPG
    Wood8.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 233
That is good wood- OUTSTANDING.........................

fossil said:
.......What do I have? I have a problem with ludicrous, unsubstantiated declarative statements such as, "...the fact that 80% of wood sellers are rip off artists...". Where's your data? That's just a dumb thing to say, IMO. Rick

....and what does your problem have to do with the thread topic?

J-Man said:
Here's my start on next year. Bought this "cord" for $150 this fall. All oak and maple. Split it up over the past couple of weekends all by hand. Nice small splits for the castine. I'd say its closer to 1.2 cord. There's 100 cubic feet on the front row, probably close to 50 cubic behind it. Good deal, great wood.

Nice stack. The closer to 1.2 cord could be one of two factors, or a combination of them - either you have a very good wood guy, or your wood volume has effectively "grown" by the fact that you split it down.

It's worth noting that in general, splitting wood into smaller peices makes it take up more room, so it's entirely possible that simply splitting your wood caused it to grow significantly (Note guys, this only applies to FIREWOOD! %-P (figured I had to get the first shot at the bad jokes....))

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.