How Warm Do You Keep House For Cat When On Vacation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
We're going away for a few days later in the month.
I'm thinking 60F should suffice. She's an indoor/outdoor cat, but shes loving the stove, I have to say.
She also has a built-in fur coat.

My furry friends wake up to 60 F everyday no worse for wear. I'm sure as long as the temp is high enough to keep the pipes from freezing, that would be warm enough.

We left our cat home alone for 2 weeks in late Nov. and the heat was turned off. The forecast was for mostly 40's but it ended up a bit colder. She ate 2 weeks worth of food in the first week when we had someone come in to check on her. My guess is that the house got down into the low 50's and none the worse for wear.
The important part is to have lots of litter boxes available. You do not want to return, light a nice fire in your stove and discover cat pee on the floor.:eek::eek:

We leave ours at 58-60 or so when we are gone. Our cat spends a lot of time outdoors even during the winter and he has not complained yet. He will sit right in front of a cold stove glaring at me until I light a fire.

Lately, the cat takes a sniff out the open door and turns tail. Our last cat loved going outside year round.

I have a dog boarding kennel. State law (PA) says kennel must be at least 50. I keep it at 60.

I leave doggie doors open a lot and they will sit out on their decks in 30- or 40-degree weather.

I don't make much money in winter...

Reactions: velvetfoot
We turn the thermostats down to 58 when away from home and the two cats don't seem to mind too much.

I have a dog boarding kennel. State law (PA) says kennel must be at least 50. I keep it at 60.

I leave doggie doors open a lot and they will sit out on their decks in 30- or 40-degree weather.

I don't make much money in winter...

Dog gone , that is a Catastrophic.;hm;sick

as long as they are protected from the elements, wind, rain, etc, pretty much anything is fine

I leave my house at 55 because that's as low as the thermostat goes

Status
Not open for further replies.