How warm do you like to keep the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife likes it warm! Probably between 72 - 74 degrees. As long as the bedroom stays cool at night I figure that she can keep the main area of the house as warm as she wants.

Reactions: Seanm
How many thermometers have you got? What if they don't all agree??
LOL. Answer is that you make them agree. It's what we do. Technically, it's called calibration.:)

At home, it means you're bored and need a job...

Last edited:
I have our propane furnace set at 65. It rarely ever kicks on. With the stove, our main living room is typically between 68 and 74 depending on the time of day and outdoor temperatures.

I must be mad hotblooded me and wife keep at 58-60 on electric forced air. Try to run that as little as possible. And 64-68 on wood any hotter and we'd have to open windows.

Or you're cold blooded and it just took you twenty minutes to type that because you're moving so slowly. :cool::p

Reactions: jb6l6gc
No thermostat. No staring at temperature readings.
If we have to put on anything it is too cool.
Yes, mornings are cool.
Isn't that why we heat with wood ?

Reactions: DTrain
Ideally I'd like it to be warm enough that my wife wouldn't feel the need for clothing. But 65 in the grip of real winter is the best we can usually get.

I enjoy when we kinda all huddle near the stove. A mechanism for interaction!

In general we keep the main areas of the house in the 68-72* range and the bedrooms stay around 66*. But when it gets colder outside I like it warmer. For some reason, the coldest night of winter (-27 wind chill) I kept the living room at 80*. I generally find that uncomfortable, but when it's super cold I load up with my best wood. I find that to be a common response for me; the colder the outside temps, the warmer I want the inside temps. When it's mild and in the 40s, 67 inside is fine.

70-74. 75+ and a psychotic process begins...

70-74. 75+ and a psychotic process begins...

Did you know that more murders are committed at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature?

I read an article once. At lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92, it’s too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable!_g

;););lol

I must be mad hotblooded me and wife keep at 58-60 on electric forced air. Try to run that as little as possible. And 64-68 on wood any hotter and we'd have to open windows.

Sounds like you were born to live in Canada.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
76-77 is our comfort zone. I dont like to sit around the house in a sweatshirt just to keep warm.

If it were just me most of the time I'd like 66 to68ºF, cooler for sleeping.
Stove room is often 72-74ºF, at 74+ I'm opening windows cuz I can't breathe.
Although in the Summer, in the past the heat never bothered me. Now I have a tough time sleeping when it is 90ºF+, moreso when also real humid.

the other day my wife had the stove going, and didn't turn the cat mode on. it was 82º in the stove room, and 74º upstairs. the sun was out, and the windows were closed, so it felt like a sunroom. It was nice coming in from the cold for about a minute, and then i had to put on a pair of shorts. when i asked her about it, she said that she was waiting for the cat thermometer to get high enough before flipping the lever.... :)

I'm always amazed in these threads at how warm people's houses are. In the dead of winter i couldn't keep our house in the 70's with just the stove even if I wanted to. I prefer mid-60's. Once it gets over 72 I start thinking about the windows. When the weather forecast is wrong it really messes me up. If it's sunny and in the 40's I don't even need a fire during the day. If it's in the 30's and cloudy a fire is a must.

i opened a window upstairs yesterday (not where the stove is) since it was 75º. we also had a blizzard, so i think the 18" of snow added some extra insulation to the house!

70 F MAX in the main house.
60 F MAX in the upstairs bedrooms.

Anything higher in uncomfortable and a waste of wood in my house.
Wife and kids all like it this way.

Factoid: the U.S. is the only country where homeowners insist on heating all their rooms. No wonder we use most of the world's energy .
Norweigian and Scottish houses at our northern latitudes heat only rooms where people spend sitting time, bedrooms are usually unheated.
Swiss bedrooms open windows all year and use thick down comforters; we also do here close to the Canadian line. And, BTW, it's conducive to romance under warm covers.:ZZZ Ever try a real down comforter at 20 ::F ? Nice.

Main floor and upstairs no one than 70, basement just above 70.

Factoid: the U.S. is the only country where homeowners insist on heating all their rooms. No wonder we use most of the world's energy .
Norweigian and Scottish houses at our northern latitudes heat only rooms where people spend sitting time, bedrooms are usually unheated.
Swiss bedrooms open windows all year and use thick down comforters; we also do here close to the Canadian line. And, BTW, it's conducive to romance under warm covers.:ZZZ Ever try a real down comforter at 20 ::F ? Nice.
Times have changed. Many homes in Denmark, Germany and Iceland are fully heated with hotwater supplied from CHP stations. Well-to-do Scandinavians, Germans and Poles may like their homes a little cooler, but often have central hot water heating system with pellet-fired boilers. This is particularly true in newer construction. "In the UK only a small fraction of homes are without central heating today."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8283796.stm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_heating
Heat pump heating in Germany is on the rise, some 20% of their homes use them now. Some home design is quite progressive. Europeans are also supporters of passive homes that need a tiny fraction of a conventional house's heat to stay warm.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/world/europe/27house.html?_r=0

Last edited:
Heating 1500 sq ft with a jotul oslo. Plenty of stove for the house. Open layout with chimney in the center of house. Stove room/kitchen can get to 75 easy on most nights, rest of house a comfortable 65 to 70.

Sounds perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.