How warm is your weather before you shut down the wood burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskwoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
First year of being a slave to the wood stove, and I don't know when a guy normally shuts down the stove for the year.....What day/night temps are you looking at before you shut her down? Go easy on me.;em

I shut down when I can't run the stove low enough to not cook us out. It tapers from full burning to small fires once a day....

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I taper off in March. Like next week. It is supposed to be fifties in the day and cold at night. So I will have a night fire and then a short hot one in the morning and let it go out till after sundown. Then taper to just night fires and then to none.

All depends on temperatures and weather.

any time the outside temp is below 50* I have a fire, it's the only heat I have :)

I don't go off of outside temps...I go off of inside temps. If I want more heat I make fire.

Supposed to get down to 3 degrees tonight and had 12 inches of snow dumped on us yesterday, so it is hard to rap my head around shutting down the stove. However the time springs forward this coming weekend and we normally start cutting grass in a month, so I am figuring(hoping) we will pretty much be shutting down the stove by the end of March with a few fires in April......

I don't go off of outside temps...I go off of inside temps. If I want more heat I make fire.
Exactly right. Spring lasts a long time here. We usually taper off when nighttime temps get above 45F. But taper is the operative word. A couple years back we we still burning occasionally in June, or Juneuary as it was called that year. This year we are much warmer and there have already been several days where we haven't had a fire and let the heat pump handle the house. And yet there has been a fire going for the past few days.

Don't go by me, a weekender. But we will light fires to the end of May. Normally just a night time fire to to take the chill off. If it's gotten to be a pain in the butt chore, I'd give it up.

First year of being a slave to the wood stove, and I don't know when a guy normally shuts down the stove for the year.....What day/night temps are you looking at before you shut her down? Go easy on me.;em

Its been that long since I shut her down - I dont remember - I guess went I have to open the windows to let heat out, thats if I can remember how to open a window :):):):):):)

Reactions: Dix and gyrfalcon
Oh, I think it'll be awhile until it warms up here, I'm not done yet. just didn't know when an average wood burner shuts it down for the season temp wise. I know one day it was above freezing, and I made a normal fire, and wow was it hot in here!

Oh, I think it'll be awhile until it warms up here, I'm not done yet. just didn't know when an average wood burner shuts it down for the season temp wise. I know one day it was above freezing, and I made a normal fire, and wow was it hot in here!

When it hits 30 or above here the house gets real warm - I do remember that ( one day this week ).

bob

For me it's simple. Depends on how cold the lady of the house is. Being from South East Asia, she can't get it warm enough. I guess, we will shut down early April and then depend on the HVAC.

I burn into June and start up again mid Septemberish. We tend to have cool nights here in the mountains so it doesnt take much to need a fire. I also find that once the neighbours start having their windows open (June sometime) I feel bad if im starting a fire and the smoke wafts through their house.

Depends on temps. If I start the thing up and one fire makes it WAY too warm, then it's time
to not have a fire. Some years that's March. This year it might be June. Tonight it's
supposed to dip below zero (again!) - I'm thinkin' it will be at least May before I can
shut 'er down and clean 'er up.

-Stretch

I generally have plenty of wood on hand, so I've never been one to skimp. If its chilly, or my wife starts wonking, I start a fire. Last spring we has some cold, clammy days in May where I lit the stove.

If I'm cold or my wife is cold we light a fire ... a few years back we had a small fire going in early July ... although that is extremely rare.

Reactions: Highbeam
Usually somewhere between the end of March or the first week of April. There may be a fire or two after that but no more 24/7.

You let it go out?

Yes, I let the oil furnace take over at bed time, to warm up the floor and hidden water lines. Wood stove gets 12-18 hour workout, depending on the day. You must be a little north of me:p to never shut er down.

I shut the stove down a few days before the A/C comes on. That is closer to the truth than a joke.

AT this rate, might burn into May. SO over this shitstorm!

Reactions: Dix
I shut the stove down a few days before the A/C comes on. That is closer to the truth than a joke.

I'd believe it. We've had a few years where we're still running the furnace overnight, get three days of nice weather, and pow, heatwave.

65+...... During the day that is, then the nite cools down and you need to fire her up.....
I've burned in May, the last 2 years...... I hope I don't need to light her up in June this year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.