How warm is your weather before you shut down the wood burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't live outside, we burn wood when inside temps drop below 70. 100% wood heat.

Reactions: alforit
I stop when its in the 50s overnight.
Looks like today will be the last day of 24/7 burning in my part of Tenn. Maybe an occasional fire on colder nights, but for the most part the baton has been passed to the high efficiency heat pump.

With my oversized insert (or undersized stoveroom?), the fire needs to be out before the outside temperatures hit 50 or else we'd bake. It's not worth the effort for me to light a fire without reloading.

TE

I just look at the old wifeometer and she tells me when to quit burning it usually happens about 4 weeks after I think it should. But hey happy wife equals happy life.

Well when it is 40 degrees outside during the day we usually don't need a fire, but will hopefully be transitioning to evening fires only this week and next as highs of almost 40 are projected.

Fingers crossed the worst is over now. almost entire 3 months of highs below 10degrees and lows at or below zero.. blechh.

We let the HVAC do it's thing if it's over 40F out. It's in it's zone then. If it is sunny during the day and over 40F the thing won't generally come on anyways due to solar gain. If it's going to drop into or below the mid 30's in such weather, I will build her a fire, but mostly because we like the feel of the stove, not because we need it so much.

That's the hardest thing about spring, (besides the mud) is the loss of that warm radiation pouring out of the stove area.. it can be just as warm in the house as when the stove is lit, yet it "feels" cold because you don't have that heat point..

The thing about a wood stove/insert is that there's no big shutdown thing, at least at my place. If you're cold, just start a fire.

I take down trees in my excavating business and have all the wood I could ask for so we burn more then we should.
We start up in September and stop around mid April. I offer my neighbors free firewood if they donate a days work when I run my large splitter. No one takes me up on offer. They burn natural gas instead. They think I am nuts ;lol for going through the trouble of burning wood

I take down trees in my excavating business and have all the wood I could ask for so we burn more then we should.
We start up in September and stop around mid April. I offer my neighbors free firewood if they donate a days work when I run my large splitter. No one takes me up on offer. They burn natural gas instead. They think I am nuts ;lol for going through the trouble of burning wood

wish you were my neighbor...

Reactions: chance04
If I had natural gas though I probably wouldn't be burning with wood though.

But I also wouldn't pass up on free wood in exchange for running a splitter with the neighbor either though. Not in a million years.

I see a 50° next week. The Summit will take a nap that day.

40 deg. My chimney is just barely 16', the draft is just too poor when the temps are above that.

typically for me and the last 9 years I've been burning, I've always burned into april at least the first week or two. but, who knows about this winter because its been the coldest I can remember. it may be a 365 day burn this year!!!
but like many have said, when it starts to warm up outside, I usually have a night fire and a small morning fire to get the chill out of the air. this will be my first spring with the jotul so we'll see how it goes.
I think its supposed to be hit 40 today....get out the bathing suits and sunscreen.

I usually run out of wood right about the time I can get by without dailyish burning. We are 100% wood heat and will tough out a chilly night or two in late March/early April. We are shoulder burning now and it looks like next week we will be reducing down to single morning fire. My wood pile is down to a single row of 16" splits about waist high and 8 foot long, when going 24/7 that will last me about a week, but this time of year I can go nearly a month on a stack that small. The end is near....

I'm just gonna burn straight through until NEXT winter....

that way I will have a nice bed of coals ready in November.;lol

There was a summer here a few years back when that was almost possible.

There was a summer here a few years back when that was almost possible.
From what I hear, your damn near summer...they are going into the 70's on the eastern slopes....I picked the wrong month to visit.

From what I hear, your damn near summer...they are going into the 70's on the eastern slopes....I picked the wrong month to visit.
Im in a different climate than him but still in the west and in 17 years ive never seen it this warm. We should have many feet of snow on the ground and spending most of the time below freezing but not this year. I can almost access valley bottom back roads that I often cant access until sometime in April. Noticed my garlic coming up yesterday....

We have been blessed this year so far and are having a fabulous, sunny spring. Supposed to hit 60F today. The hummingbirds showed up early in February as did the grass, which needs to be mowed again. Not sure if this is going to last but they say a weak elNino pattern is starting to build in the Pacific. We'll see.

(garlic is about a foot tall here!)

Im in a different climate than him but still in the west and in 17 years ive never seen it this warm. We should have many feet of snow on the ground and spending most of the time below freezing but not this year. I can almost access valley bottom back roads that I often cant access until sometime in April. Noticed my garlic coming up yesterday....
Seems you have our weather, and we got yours. Feel free to swap back, I've had enough.

We have been blessed this year so far and are having a fabulous, sunny spring. Supposed to hit 60F today. The hummingbirds showed up early in February as did the grass, which needs to be mowed again. Not sure if this is going to last but they say a weak elNino pattern is starting to build in the Pacific. We'll see.

(garlic is about a foot tall here!)
What does a weak elNino pattern bring?

Im normally ice fishing into April but with this weather its rotten. Going to get a head start on putting up my wood this year as Im worried the bush will be shut down to motor vehicles and the river will be low and warm, stressing out the trout. Smoky air from forest fires...... being optimistic we may get a real wet June. Stove will go out again today.

You folks in the west need some serious moisture. I know where the lil woman is, has a serious deficit.
The fires last year were the worst in history. I saw the devastation in January during my visit.
Seeing first hand was jaw dropping.

Reactions: Seanm
Sitting on a learning curve on how not to roast ourselves out of the shack now (I know, such first world problems). Cold weather let go, and we should be bouncing between -5 to +3 C (22-36? F) for the next few weeks. A fire in the morning and one in the evening still keeps it toasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.