How warm is your weather before you shut down the wood burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This past few days I've just been lighting one early morning fire of about 6 splits and letting it burn out. If I know the night temps are going below about 45F I will stir up the coals for a small fire in the evening.

My stove is cold for the first time since December. Sun shining, 54 degrees and melting snow running down the driveway like a West Virginia river with the dam gates open. Thinking about rafting down to the mailbox.

Reactions: Seanm
Sitting on a learning curve on how not to roast ourselves out of the shack now (I know, such first world problems). Cold weather let go, and we should be bouncing between -5 to +3 C (22-36? F) for the next few weeks. A fire in the morning and one in the evening still keeps it toasty.
Better to roast, than freeze. Hopefully we can all put the stoves to rest soon.

Better to roast, than freeze. Hopefully we can all put the stoves to rest soon.

It's funny how a wood stove changes a guys perspective when he's used to running only an oil furnace. Much warmer temps all the time. I never knew the term "too warm" with oil, just knowing that every time it kicked in, money was burning, and the more you turn it up, the harder for it to keep up. All in all a very comfy year inside.

It's funny how a wood stove changes a guys perspective when he's used to running only an oil furnace. Much warmer temps all the time. I never knew the term "too warm" with oil, just knowing that every time it kicked in, money was burning, and the more you turn it up, the harder for it to keep up. All in all a very comfy year inside.
I have delegated my oil furnace to back up position. I prefer the warm all over feeling, than the heated air that cools quickly after the furnace kicks off from the forced air unit.
Cheaper to burn wood and crack a window, then burn oil and never get that chill off ya.
I will say, the furnace played it's role on the 0 and under nights this year. Nice to have it to supplement, if/when needed.
Enjoy, and stay toasty

I tried getting to the back wood shed with my 4WD tractor and it's one foot of white granular sand. I gave up part way - it's just crazy. I might get the tractor back there but there's no way I can haul a load of wood in the trailer behind it. A week from now it will probably be mud and I'll have the same problem.

The long range forecast for our area shows nothing past mid 40's until early April. yuck.

Its going into the 60's here in Minnesota this week. Then again, I got a load of wood today. Even though the next 7 to 10 days look to be warm, it is still Minnesota and we can get blasted from the North well into May.

74 in Portland today, 64F in Seattle. Spring is here.

Almost made 60 here today. Huge melt off underway. Then 29 tonight. Whiplash time. :mad:

Anybody want some free mud?

As long as I feel I have plenty of wood for next season, I will choose free over paying the gas company when any heat is needed. I do try to watch the forecast and try not to end up opening windows to let excess heat out though;) Time to find some nice oak for 2017!

Almost made 60 here today. Huge melt off underway. Then 29 tonight. Whiplash time. :mad:

Anybody want some free mud?

Set up a mud wrestling rink down at the bottom of the driveway. It might pay for the tractor.

Reactions: BrotherBart
It hit 75°F here today, with 16%RH.

I'll have another fire tonight, and maybe a small one tomorrow morning ;lol

I am on the electric heaters tonight. The electric co-op's kids gotta eat too.

But dang it if feels chilly in here without Brownie burning.

I am on the electric heaters tonight. The electric co-op's kids gotta eat too.

But dang it if feels chilly in here without Brownie burning.
Ive had to let the stove go out a bunch in recent times. I came downstairs to the rec room the other day and my daughter was under a blanket watching tv. She said dad Im cold! I lit the stove and took care of it. I dont care for shoulder season burning.

Did a shoulder type burn tonight. Supposed to dip just below freezing by the end of the night. We'll be burning in the evening for at least another couple weeks or until the wood runs out. Really trying to stretch what I have allotted for this season.

We've been shoulder season burning this year since early February. Thank goodness for Super Cedars and dry wood.

Ive had to let the stove go out a bunch in recent times. I came downstairs to the rec room the other day and my daughter was under a blanket watching tv. She said dad Im cold! I lit the stove and took care of it. I dont care for shoulder season burning.

The cat is parked in front of the cold stove. Totally pissed.

Our cat has been doing the same. In the morning when I make a fire he is parked and in position as I am loading in the logs. Still 55F so the heat pump is all the warming he's getting tonight. Well that and our laps which he will soon gravitate to.

The cat is parked in front of the cold stove. Totally pissed.
Mine was cold for 12 hours today, but back after it now. 68 in the house is cold enough>>

Mine was cold for 12 hours today, but back after it now. 68 in the house is cold enough>>

I hear ya. Should have fired it at sundown. Too late now.

Reactions: Smoked
My cats are funny. There is definitely a temperature cutoff for going outside. Yesterday and the past 4 months it has been below 32 and they don't even try to go outside (especially since snow has been covering ground for almost 3 entire months).

Today it was 43 and they wouldn't stop bugging us to get outside.

I hope the OP has figured out by now that there is no answer. If you are cold. Burn.

Both our cats are warm. One in front of the stove at about 80*F and the other at about 1,200*F;)

It's a toss up on which one I'd rather forget to feed. They would both wake me in the middle of the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.