How well do manual hydrolic splitters work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bezalel

Nov 19, 2005
I'm thinking of picking up something like this ...

10 Ton Hydrolic Splitter

If this works well, I can go ahead and order the Ryobi 4 Ton Electric Splitter. The Ryobi will be for processing most of my wood, and the manual 10 Ton unit will be for those larger stubborn logs. I am thinly built and can't do much with a 8lbs maul!

I would buy the Ryobi and see if it splits your toughest wood. I suspect that operating those hand-operated hydraulic splitters get old pretty quick, and you may find that the Ryobi does most, if not all, of your wood.

Manual hydraulic splitters are painfully slooooooooooooow..................

They don't work very well. the guy next door has one and he hates it.

look at it this way when is the last time you used a hand saw to cut a full piece of 3/4" plywood

cutting the plywood maybe quicker than that manual hydraulic splitter Its a 10 ton jack

I have an 8 ton manual splitter. It is fast enough for me but the first jack failed in a few weeks and the replacement failed six months later. After the second one failed I ordered a Japanese jack from a separate source. It was rated at only 5 tons but had a bigger ram than the "8 ton" original (Chinese?) jack. The answer to your question is that a manual splitter works well if you have small quantities or a lot of time but durability could be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.