How well does BIRCH burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodburn

Oct 26, 2007
Long Island, New York
I was just offered some birch wood. I have always burned mostly oak and cherry. I know birch probably won't compare to those, but is it still a choice wood? I checked out the main informational article about heat values in wood, but I also wanted feedback from people here who have burned it. I am not sure if it's white birch, paper birch, or yellow birch. I live on Long Island if that helps.

If you are a predomantily softwood burner, then paper birch is a "treasure to behold"..

So even though it may not be oak, it's still some good stuff? I think white birch may be the same as paper birch. I was just searching online and found some pictures of paper birch- the pictures I see look like the only birch I have seen around here- they have a white papery bark that likes to flake off.

I'd take it in a heartbeat. As a matter of fact, send it out to me.

It better burn, that's all we have around here, well that and spruce but the birch burns longer. I have never burned anything else, I wish I could get my hands on a pile of oak.

White/Paper Birch is good firewood, it will burn similar to your Cherry. Yellow and Black Birch is even better.

It doesn't just burn nice, but smells GREAT %-P ! My wife caught me sniffing BIRCH once :red: , how embarrassing...

About half the wood I burned last year was white birch...burns just fine. The bark is a great starter (or restarter after an overnight burn) too...goes up like napalm.

Its not oak and it doesn't have the same btu's, but it burns fine and produces good heat without monster ash piles.

We've got a lot of white birch on the property, not as good as oak but not bad.

Burns fine if you let it dry.

Bark is water proof ( the indians made caonoes out of it), so make sure you split the larger pieces so it can dry.

The dry bark makes great fire starter, like hot intense newspaper.

"Name one wood that doesn’t burn, or burns badly."

Exactly. Cherry and white birch have nearly the same BTUs, 20 million/cord. When you remove the extremes of the scale (osage, cedar), white birch is in the middle of the pack BTU wise.

Birch has a slightly sweet smell and looks good on the indoor rack. It tends to dry fast.

Birch should be split and stacked shorty after it's down because it tends to rot faster than most species. If that's not practical, at least buck it into larger pieces and put it on pallets off the ground, especially with all this rain some of us have had.

Adios Pantalones - 13 August 2008 09:14 AM
Name one wood that doesn’t burn, or burns badly.

IPE or ironwood . Supposively is fireproof due to its extreme density. It is supposed to have the same fireproof rating as concrete.

LOL-well, considering it doesn't grow on this continent, it's not a concern. I've used it as a core wood in making bows. (It's ipe, not an acronym "IPE". A pet peeve from bow making days).

Plus- I had a reaction to breathing the dust even sanding it. I suppose that if I was in Brazil, or had a huge amount of decking scrap, it might be a concern (some reports of smoke toxicity as well... not sure if substantiated).

In extreme northern Wisconsin ironwood is the wood of choice!

Birch is good firewood. We burned yellow and grey birch (these may be the same - depends on who you ask, I guess) back in Vermont, along with some awesome rock maple. The birch smells like incense when it burns. It's especially nice in a campfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.