How/where to close in the woodshed...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2008
VA
We have a cinderblock shed in back with windows and a door. We're framing/roofing a new bay onto one side for a woodshed. It's on the west gable end of the building and slopes down from about 7.5' at the building to 5.5' when you go 8' to the west. Basically it's a shed addition is what I am trying to say.

The post frame is up and the tin roof is going on it today. It can potentially hold a good number of cords at 16' X 8' or so. We will get a load of gravel for the floor and then find some pallets to stack the wood on.

Trying to decide how best to partially enclose it and with what. I figure the open side should be the front (north) side of the shed, at least a good sized door. So the "back" will then be the south and west side where the stacking will start. Do most of you enclose your wood sheds on three sides? I have seen a lot enclosed but with gaps like a corn crib, which I like... How about lattice panels, is that any good? It has a bit of tree cover from an overgrown bush type tree, a holly, and a pine, but I think it will still have decent drying exposure. The cinderblock wall is on the east side of the shed/bay.

My woodshed is up against my house. It's eight feet wife and sixteen feet wide, and I stack about six feet from the back (so I have room to walk). It has OSB up both sides about 4 feet up to keep snow out and wood in, and I used cedar picket fencing for the back. The cedar is rot resistant, very easy to screw in because it's so soft, and looks really nice. I used landscape timbers for the posts, and pressure treated 2x4s for the bottom frame.

My plan next spring is to get more cedar pickets and use that for the sides instead of the OSB I have up there now, so it gets more wind. Ideally, your wood should season somewhere more exposed, and in single rows, not in a shed, and only brought in for winter storage.

~Rose

I have a similar setup. Mine is 8x19x8High. I have the three sides open. I fill it from the middle rear to one side. Each winter I pull out from the other end. Basically each half has about 18 months seasoning before I start pulling the wood out. By the time I get a third of the way in, I find the wood is not fully seasoned. This is mostly ash & soft maple. Any oak I get is all stored separately in another stack that is open on all sides. This is about 7'H by about 6"D by about 15'L. I don't have the room to put my wood in individual rows. That wood is left for a minimum of 2 years. I split all my wood in short lengths & small splits. About 3"x4"x 12" > 14" long.

When I had my old Russo stove, the wood was never a problem. With my Englander 13, sometimes I have a problem with not enough seasoning. I think if you are stacking that shed full without space between the rows & you have a modern EPA stove, you might run into a seasoning problem if you enclose it.
Al

You may want to rethink the layout a bit. First, open on three side is good. That is how my shed is. Second, open on the north side is not great. Close the north side, open the south side. The sun will never shine through the north side.

When I get around to building my wood shed. I will run boards up and down one on the outside of the stringer and the nest on the inside. That way the air can still move through it but most of wind blown rain will hit the boards and run off them.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.