How wide is your splitter wedge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Im on stage 2 of my vintage homemade splitter rebuild. I hacked off the wedge because it has to be moved. Never liked it much anyway. It wouldn't spread stringy wood out wide enough. So what are the dimensions on your wedge that allows the wood to fall off before the cylinder moves to fully retracted?

Wedge is 1/2' then at the wings is 3" (7" height) Speeco
Work good with frozen wood, the wedge bites in good & usually is split before the wings kick in.
Normal splitting in summer & fall, I sometimes need to run it in all the way on some gnarly stuff
but have yet to lose to the wood.
Rarely gets stuck in rounds, but has 2 a knock off bars to push the round off on full return.

Attachments

• 100_6057.jpg
    100_6057.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_6055.jpg
    100_6055.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 214
Just like mine too. I used one with a wider wedge but it wouldnt get through the tough saddles and knots. But of course it didnt have the leading knife edge like in the pic. Ive not used many but for a splitter with vertical ability I love the leading knife edge before the wedge. Make two or three different designs. They are not too hard to change out.

Status
Not open for further replies.