How will do pellets hold up in storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixman

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Central Texas
Since it is a good drive to the pellet getting place, I was thinking of getting a couple of tons when I go. How well do they hold up in storage from one season to the next when stored in a barn that is not sealed or insulated? They would be dry but subject to normal humidity of Central Texas.

No problem.

I bought 6 tons of LG Granules last June and stored in my un-heated un-insulated garage ever since.

They still burn great...

At some times over the summer I noticed the pellet bags were clammy with condensation but the pellets were not affected at all.

I asked a similar question a while back and many people have stored for several years with no issues.

tjones said:
Since it is a good drive to the pellet getting place, I was thinking of getting a couple of tons when I go. How well do they hold up in storage from one season to the next when stored in a barn that is not sealed or insulated? They would be dry but subject to normal humidity of Central Texas.

If you keep them sealed in their protective plastic "bag" that covers the pallet, you should be fine. If you have to hand re-stack them, try to get them as tight together as possible so you can use the big plastic bag and recover them. I have used this open "wood shed" for mine for the past 3 years, and all pellets have been fine:

Attachments

• Shed w. pellets.jpg
    Shed w. pellets.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 590
Wow imacman!!! You are a certified pellet pig. That is a nice stash you have there.

tjones said:
Wow imacman!!! You are a certified pellet pig. That is a nice stash you have there.
And that was before I added 1.3 tons of Rockies, and another 3 tons in the basement....had 7+ tons at the beginning of Nov. '09.....OINK!! :cheese:

Be careful, such preparation and self dependence could get you on a list.

Where do you go to get pellets in Texas? I live in the Ft.Worth area and I am looking to find some new pellets. The pellets they do sell around here seem to be all crappy, and I am not happy with them.

You might try David's stove shop in Weatherford. It is easy to find, just off I-20 on the access road.

sixman said:
You might try David's stove shop in Weatherford. It is easy to find, just off I-20 on the access road.

I have gone there, but they charge me way more for pellets because I did not buy a stove there! Plus there pellets are not to great. I am willing to make a drive if it comes to a good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.