How would this chimney be cleaned?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzinckgra

Feeling the Heat
Jun 12, 2009
Raymond, Maine
We are installing a stove (either PE T6 or Jotul F50) in the corner of our new house that has a 12/12 pitch roof. Estimations are that we will need ~13' pipe on the outside. I'm guessing that with that height, no sweep will be able to do a top-down clean. How would you clean from the bottom? Is it possible to put a retractable section of pipe coming out of the stove and when ready to clean, lift/retract that section and somehow get the brush into the pipe and push up? I just want to be sure if we install this much pipe, we can actually clean it.

Bottoms up :)

When i do January cleaning each year it is from the bottom up.

We are installing a stove (either PE T6 or Jotul F50) in the corner of our new house that has a 12/12 pitch roof. Estimations are that we will need ~13' pipe on the outside. I'm guessing that with that height, no sweep will be able to do a top-down clean. How would you clean from the bottom? Is it possible to put a retractable section of pipe coming out of the stove and when ready to clean, lift/retract that section and somehow get the brush into the pipe and push up? I just want to be sure if we install this much pipe, we can actually clean it.

No problem cleaning that chimney. You can use a brush or soot eater. We have the outdoor chimney and clean it from the bottom with no problem. You will install a tee where the chimney turns up. There will be a cap on the bottom of that tee and you simply remove it (a couple of screws) and clean. So easy, I let my wife do the cleaning! lol

btw, with this installation, be sure there is some rise to the horizontal section. Code says 1/4" rise per foot as minimum. We went more like 1/2" rise per foot and have no problem.

Reactions: Rex
Is that pipe going relatively straight up through the house and out the roof? If so, it is really easy to clean from below. Use an adjustable stove pipe. Remove it, take it outside and clean it . Use duct tape to attach a heavy black garbage bag to the pipe immediately above the removed section. Tape it well all around. Then make a small slit near the opening to the pipe. Insert your brush and first section of pipe and clean; as you move up the pipe, screw additional sections on your brush. When you are finished, reverse the procedure, remove the bag carefully, seal it and dispose of it. You will have essentially no mess to clean if you use this procedure, and you don't need to worry about the
weather. I've cleaned my chimney this way always. I keep an extra can of stove paint, and if the pipe gets scratched with our handling of it, I spray the pipe outdoors before reinstalling, or, when necesssary (if scratched on reassembly) do so carefully inside. Pipe matches paint on stove and looks nice. Checked the outside top of the chimney this year in the Spring, for the first time since install quite few years ago. It was completely clean.

If you can reach the bottom of the chimney (roof level), which may be hard on a 12/12 pitch, you could always twist/unlock some of the sections and then clean from the top. This, of course, is also assuming the chimney isn't in some sort of chase.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.