How would you go about cutting this.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no a sycamore maple, it's an actual maple variety, with a leaf that is close to a sycamore tree... it's supposedly a rare maple tree variety.

The leaves are Red Maple. Notice there are three main points, not five as in Sugar Maple, and notice the edges of the leaves have lots of fine teeth, whereas Sugar Maple has fewer teeth and a smoother edge to the leaf. SYcamore Maple leaves have five significant lobes, your tree has only three plus lots of small teeth = Red Maple.

The leaves are Red Maple. Notice there are three main points, not five as in Sugar Maple, and notice the edges of the leaves have lots of fine teeth, whereas Sugar Maple has fewer teeth and a smoother edge to the leaf. SYcamore Maple leaves have five significant lobes, your tree has only three plus lots of small teeth = Red Maple.
And the cut between the lobes is at a sharp angle = red maple. The cut between a sugar maple leaf's lobes will be rounded or be like a bowl (look at Jags picture). Just think sugar maple, sugar bowl. That's what I was taught.

Half stick of TNT and you'll have kindling for many seasons.

I get rid of all the easy weight and cuts. Then work from the top of the tree down.

After pulling on it to see if it will pull off and if not should be somewhat safe to stand under, cut it like it was still standing and pull it to whichever side had room.

After pulling on it to see if it will pull off and if not should be somewhat safe to stand under, cut it like it was still standing and pull it to whichever side had room.
Agreed, the way it looks in pic 2 I'd wrap a strap around the broken part and a chain or 2 to get away from it some and try to yank it off there with my truck, or tractor if you have one.

Reactions: Applesister
A 3 Ton truck or a large tractor(80 hp), rope it just past the snap. The wood looks dry and brittle. A good fast yank.
But back up the vehicle so you are facing the tree.
The leaves are Red maple. Brittle and soft.
Go for it!!
Screenshot_2015-06-02-23-33-05-1.jpg

Reactions: D8Chumley
I can't do it that way. There is a highway literally 30' from there, I can pull over and drive on the grass strip that runs parralell to it. You can see my 1ton truck parked on the actual emergency lane in the one photo... The problem with the grass area... where I live, it's basically all swamp... I'm going to cut it on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.