How would you handle this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am a member on more forums than I care to admit and the group here is first class.

As for warranty work, I'm not sure how that works out exactly. If a part fails, can I replace it myself or does the dealer have to?

yes, you can do your own work....wont void the warranty, stuff like that......parts coverage, well, a dealer who is sympathetic to your cause could even submit the cost of parts for coverage as well.

Reactions: ZBrooks
Having been on both sides of this issue I can agree with both sides. First off I have helped deliver several stoves for a Harman dealer in the past and there is nothing more embarrassing then having a "New" stove unloaded , carried downstairs and after all the work of installing it the blame thing wouldn't run. This really makes the customer smile and gives them a lot of fresh confidence in both the installer and the store in general. After the stove is checked out and the problem solved then we have the new stove smell of burning oil, etc, and the owners wife opening windows etc.
After two instances like that, when we sold a stove we told the customer we preburn the stove before delivery so the smell was gone and we knew the stove would work. These stoves were brand new boxes not opened. If the stove was 3 years old but still new in box the customer was told that fact and if any updates were needed they were done before delivery.
The dealer in this case deceived the customer and if I was the customer I would cancel the check and say get your stove as I don't put up with liars.

But the OP states he 'PAID IN CASH' so how can he stop the check (Cheque). :eek::rolleyes:;hm

The OP now has a 5 year old stove and out of pocket for x amount of $$$'s.

I would be jumping up and down all over that company for what I paid for, not a stove that's 2, 3, or even 5 years old, but NEW, never used and still in it's box on the crate / pallet.

yea, he paid the money for a new stove........we are around $3300 for them (well, for a new one), and that includes two tons of pellets....

That's a great price for a new 61 and 2 ton of pellets. Does that include piping and install?

I paid $4100 for stove, piping, and install. They threw in a ton of Logic pellets. Plus I got the black stove pipe.

Reactions: gbreda
I've been keeping up with this thread, and don't want to hijack it....but now that the thread has turned a bit towards advantages / disadvantages of old stoves, I'll ask:

I just had a new Hudson River Kinderhook installed. No question that it had never been burned. But the MFR tag on the underside of the pellet bins lid shows a manufacturing date of Sept 2011. My thoughts when I first saw it is that a Kinderhook model isn't going to "move" the way a much more popular stove would, and it wasn't really shocking that this stayed at a distributors for a year or two (My dealer didn't have any in stock, as he doesn't sell too many of these).

Are there really any concerns other then maybe some minor tweak to the firmware? Can the boards be updated with new firmware in the field if there even ARE any "updates"? It's working fine....

I've been keeping up with this thread, and don't want to hijack it....but now that the thread has turned a bit towards advantages / disadvantages of old stoves, I'll ask:

I just had a new Hudson River Kinderhook installed. No question that it had never been burned. But the MFR tag on the underside of the pellet bins lid shows a manufacturing date of Sept 2011. My thoughts when I first saw it is that a Kinderhook model isn't going to "move" the way a much more popular stove would, and it wasn't really shocking that this stayed at a distributors for a year or two (My dealer didn't have any in stock, as he doesn't sell too many of these).

Are there really any concerns other then maybe some minor tweak to the firmware? Can the boards be updated with new firmware in the field if there even ARE any "updates"? It's working fine....

If there are updates that you become aware of notify your dealer. I assure they will take care if it. My dealer came out with an upgraded blower.....no charge

Can you pre-burn a stove outside with a 5' vent pipe temporarily attached?

That's a great price for a new 61 and 2 ton of pellets. Does that include piping and install?

I paid $4100 for stove, piping, and install. They threw in a ton of Logic pellets. Plus I got the black stove pipe.

Hell, no! Pipe is extra, delivery and install is extra, floor protection is extra.......for THAT price, we will load a crated unit on your truck, as well as the pellets......might even wave goodbye...... ;)

ZBrooks,
What has the dealer replied other than he would charge you for the ton of pellets ... Have you asked for your money back?

Still might want to consult with the police department:(

yea, certainly not a "warm fuzzy" experience, is it? Not that I doubt the OP, but I would really love to hear the other side.....what the excuses, etc are....hey, folks, 2 sides to every story.....

Reactions: sinnian
you can IM me if you like, but prefer to keep my anonymity here, as I don't want, or expect, any income from my posting to this site......others have run into trouble in the past for this, and I would rather avoid that...

I hear ya.....I will be in the market for a second stove in a year ir two....will check in with you then

ZBrooks,
What has the dealer replied other than he would charge you for the ton of pellets ... Have you asked for your money back?

Still might want to consult with the police department:(

I have not asked for my money back. The standing at this point is that I have asked for a new stove to be ordered and was told that it would be ordered. This was as of Tuesday. I emailed the dealer yesterday to confirm that the stove had been ordered and did not receive a reply. I am going to give him the chance, in person, to make this right. If he chooses not to, then I will ask for my money back. Part of my problem here is that I show up to work before most places open and leave work after most places are closed, so I only get maybe one day per week to sort this stuff out in person.

yea, certainly not a "warm fuzzy" experience, is it? Not that I doubt the OP, but I would really love to hear the other side.....what the excuses, etc are....hey, folks, 2 sides to every story.....

If you'd like, I can post the email exchange. Or, I could forward it to you. I think by doing so, it would put the dealer in an even worse light. I am still baffled by his explanation for the serial # snafu.

If you'd like, I can post the email exchange. Or, I could forward it to you. I think by doing so, it would put the dealer in an even worse light. I am still baffled by his explanation for the serial # snafu.
it's ok.....was just curious about the "other" side (Im a dealer myself)......its kinda like watching a train wreck, I guess

Concerning the actual installation of the P61A, the manual states that a vertical run of more than 15' for the vent should be 4" pipe. My house currently has about 25' (two story house) of 3" pipe that runs up a chimney chase. It was used with the old Fabco pellet insert that was in the house for the past 20 years. Should I convert all of it to 4" or punch a hole in the side of the house and keep the 3"? Or, see how it works as is?

Any takers?

Any takers?

sure.....my money is on punching a hole and using a short run of pipe......easier to maintain, can bring in outside air, and not relying on old piping which is AT BEST marginal for your use (and I argue not adequate).....plus thru the wall would be MUCH cheaper than a whole new 4" run!

I think 25' of 3" would be pushing it. Id probably just keep it 3 and go thru the wall. Makes for easier vent maintenance too...No need to get on the roof.

sure.....my money is on punching a hole and using a short run of pipe......easier to maintain, can bring in outside air, and not relying on old piping which is AT BEST marginal for your use (and I argue not adequate).....plus thru the wall would be MUCH cheaper than a whole new 4" run!

Since the old Fabco insert was a natural draft stove with no combustion blower, I already have a 6" hole in the wall for an OAK. Is there something that can fit in the wall via this hole that will allow me to use it for both the OAK and vent?

I think Harman, and maybe Selkirk sell a combo thimble kit that include fresh air. Might have to enlarge the 6" hole a little tho....

Since the old Fabco insert was a natural draft stove with no combustion blower, I already have a 6" hole in the wall for an OAK. Is there something that can fit in the wall via this hole that will allow me to use it for both the OAK and vent?

yup.....Harman's might be a tight fit for 6", but it works very well.......and it covers both the exhaust AND intake......maybe get it from another dealer tho..... :0

The Harman thimble is very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.