How would you install this insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised by the lack of refractory lining. Most ZCs have this extra layer of protection.

I'm surprised by the lack of refractory lining. Most ZCs have this extra layer of protection.

Exactly. There are only two big pieces on the back wall. The rest is metal. That's why I was thinking about lining the floor with fire brick and adding roxul to all the walls before squeezing in an insert...if everything checks out, of course.

Sounds like an unsafe installation as it stands. The fireplace has been modified which is warned against in any insert manual. You will have to make this call on your own. It's untested territory. That deep face is going to compound problems with trying to align the liner with the insert flue outlet. A safer, better heating and perhaps easier install would be to put a freestanding rear-vent stove in front of this unit and run a liner up the chimney.

Sounds like an unsafe installation as it stands. The fireplace has been modified which is warned against in any insert manual. You will have to make this call on your own. It's untested territory. That deep face is going to compound problems with trying to align the liner with the insert flue outlet. A safer, better heating and perhaps easier install would be to put a freestanding rear-vent stove in front of this unit and run a liner up the chimney.

Yeah, I presented that idea earlier, but the boss of the house shot it down pretty quick. She said the fuel type didn't matter to her, nor did the type (insert or new fp), as long as it was mounted completely flush, because its main purpose is to be a cosmetic space heater. We have gas forced air and a freestanding wood stove in another room to handle the whole house heating roles.

Well there you have it. Measure twice before buying anything. that deep face is going to present a challenge for the flue hookup.

Well there you have it. Measure twice before buying anything. that deep face is going to present a challenge for the flue hookup.

Exactly. I've been asking for measurements from dealers beyond the simple HxWxD specs, including how far the door handles stick out and stuff like that. So far the only wood inserts we can wiggle into place are the small Lopi flush and the Jotul C350. Perhaps gas units will give us more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.