1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How would you like Newer Stoves to Look and Function? ( You can Vote)

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Huntindog1, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    August might very well be a great time to get a sneak view of it. It all depends upon how the production and research goes as to when the stove will be ready. If you looked now you'd probably see about what we saw when the Progress was being researched. It simply looks like a steel box in R&D with a bunch of wires and tubes going in and out, etc.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

Not sure why Woodstock is the only entry in the contest that does not show the final product. All of the entries except Woodstock's has a photo of their stove. I guess I assumed that the illustration that Woodstock provided is the final look ? How are they going to get votes if its visually not done yet ? Hmmmmm.

I like the description......makes it sound enticing...........but gotta see a photo !.......... hint, hint :)
  3. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    I don't believe this contest is about looks at all. It is about heating and clean burning. So if you plan on voting for a stove by it's looks, you are looking at the wrong thing. That sounds sort of like the voter who votes for the best looking guy or gal rather than what they will be doing.
  4. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington
    I think looks is definitely a part of it ..............I wouldn't vote on looks alone..........but to say it's not about looks at all is silly ...........it's definitely part of the equation.

And I don't plan on putting Obama in my living room .
  5. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    My mistake. I thought Popular Mechanics wanted to find some new methods of burning and it had nothing to do with a beauty contest. For sure when the stove is ready for the market, it will look very nice but that is normally the very last thing to finish up before the beginning of the manufacturing of the stoves.

I also well remember when the Woodstock Progress was in R&D. It was ugly for sure! However, the final design is normally not part of R&D and most think the Progress turned out very well indeed.
  6. DevilsBrew

DevilsBrew Minister of Fire

Technically, they aren't all new methods, just improving old ones. My big beef with rocket mass heaters is that they are big, bulky, and to use the term from another poster - butt ugly. ;) Maybe I am coming at this from a chicks point of view but I don't care how efficient the thing is, I wouldn't want to live 24/7 with ugly. Unfortunately, high performance doesn't lend itself to visual attractiveness. In the marketplace, you have to have a balance between the two.

This is stereotypical but maybe not enough input is devoted to the female perspective at Popular Mechanics.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The early drawings for the Progress gave a strong hint of the final design. Some minor details changed, but one had a clear sense of how it was going to turn out. It was only ugly in its raw, unclad testing stage. That is my concern with the Union. If the drawings indicate where the stove is headed it is going to be a narrow market.
  8. HollowHill

HollowHill Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    So far I like its looks, and I'm very picky :)
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    You can go ahead and implicate me. I will own it.;);lol
    Backwoods Savage and DevilsBrew like this.
  10. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana
    The Lopi Cape Cod Hybrid has some really good numbers for emissions.

I checked it out and the Firebox Dimensions are 11" x 24"

Not sure who wants to cut 24" logs. I would have thought more of a square dimensions would be more appealing to load north south also.

Another thing I noticed was that the catalyst is very wide extending almost the entire length of the width of the fire box (24").

Would that make for an expensive replacement of the Cat?

On the other hand maybe its the geometry of the fire box and the unusually wide Cat makes their Emissions numbers so good.

One thing for sure 0.45 grams emissions is some major competition.

http://www.lopistoves.com/product-detail.aspx?model=364#docs-tab
  11. alforit

alforit Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Washington

The Cape Cod is a really nice stove and I almost bought one until I saw how shallow the fire box was .........That killed it for me . Gotta have north/south loading capability .
  12. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    The drawings do indicate some of what the stove will end up looking like but there will be some changes. Some things are not set in stone yet (pun intended). Lots of work to do on it yet. I'm hoping things will speed up on this because September is not that far away. I'd like to see this hit the market by Labor Day or before but not sure how they will do on that goal. I think Tom might let a little information out soon but we'll have to wait and see on that.
  13. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I really like the way the Gymse looks. Probably wouldn't like the price or structural requirements.
  14. DevilsBrew

On the positive side, the costs continue to drop as masonry systems become more popular here in the US.
  15. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I am not real sure of the link between the costs of stoves decreasing because of the increased interest in mass heaters. Mass heaters are such a tiny percentage of home heating even compared to stove usage. I think that is akin to comparing sales of commuter cars to dump trucks. Just say'in.

Dennis - you can be as broad as you like on your answer as long as you state yes or no.:p Do you think the leg configuration is going to look similar to the current drawings?
  16. DevilsBrew

I guess it is a matter of opinion. I have seen a growing interest over the last year and a half in mass heaters. I have also seen quotes of masonry stoves go from $40,000 to under $5,000. In addition, the engineering of the stoves is constantly evolving. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the RMH cores, ends up in the top three on the efficiency test. I can bet on it that there is at least one person spending 24/7 tinkering to see that it happens.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Somewhat. ==c
  18. Huntindog1

Huntindog1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Central Indiana

Are you in the buisness? As most of us dont have access to a bunch of quotes?
  19. DevilsBrew

You can get them easily through those in construction, as a prospective buyer, and through research. I may be luckier than most because masonry work is popular in my area.