How Ya Burning ? (crazy Weather)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewdee

Feb 9, 2011
Central NJ
Over night 20's
Now 15
Todays High 50's
Tonight mid 30's

Tomorrow mid 50's
Friday High's 60's night 30's
Sat & Sun High's 40's Low's Back in the 20's

Big swings on a daily basis Got To Love This Time Of Year

its getting into fire starter season here. the weather is mild and rain is on its way in. time to double check that all the dry wood i need is covered well and that i have kindling for short small firings on hand.

At night I am burning fullbore, but during the day I am just burning a couple of splits per load. 20F here this morning, but expecting 50F later, and we hardly need any heat from the stove at 50 and sunny.

I heat from the basement so I have a built in buffer. If I screw up and overdue it, close the basement door and crack a window down stairs.

But really, the stove starts easy enough that I don't hesistate letting it go cold. Splitting a little kindling is not a big deal to me.

pen

heatwise said:
its getting into fire starter season here. the weather is mild and rain is on its way in. time to double check that all the dry wood i need is covered well and that i have kindling for short small firings on hand.

+1 - spent some time splitting some ash into small splits for shorter, hot fires. Temps for some days coming up are pretty mild - will probably get away with a big morning fire, small late afternoon fire, and big overnight fire. Things are changing........Cheers!

andrewdee said:
Over night 20's
Now 15
Todays High 50's
Tonight mid 30's

Tomorrow mid 50's
Friday High's 60's night 30's
Sat & Sun High's 40's Low's Back in the 20's

Big swings on a daily basis Got To Love This Time Of Year

Still cold up this way so 24/7 burning still going on. We'll have a two day warmup starting Thursday then back in the 20's for daytime highs and single digit lows at night.

Zap

Probably not far from you Andrew. Burning 24/7 still, but Im letting her burn out today and will restart it tonight. With the next few days nearing the 60s as a high, I think Ill just be burning through the nights.

Wood Duck said:
At night I am burning fullbore, but during the day I am just burning a couple of splits per load. 20F here this morning, but expecting 50F later, and we hardly need any heat from the stove at 50 and sunny.

Same procedure here....

I'm having to train myself (and the wife) to turn the air down a bit more than before but otherwise still putting in full loads each time. Of course with lowered air setting I go longer between loads - been doing 2-3 a day instead of 4-5.

Starting to try and project how much wood I'll have left over after the season is done. I figure I'll only have to re-load the deck rack two more times - lugging wood up those steps is the one thing I don't like about burning.

I'm taking advantage of the warmer temps to get rid of some basswood. Burns nice enough but fast and without much heat. I'm getting ready to fill the crib half basswood and half good wood--basswood during the day and hardwood at night until the cold weather comes back.

All I read about here at Hearth was how long every bodies stove will go. Well then if you all have 20-40hr burn times why would anyone have to restart a stove. Seems these EPA stove that like to hold there coals forever are ideal for this time of year. Mine is currently perculating with coals for tonight.

looking for the warm weather to unbury some chunks to burn dont like using the good wood whens its this warm out. 24 reloads when its this warm for me.

crazy weather????????? cmon guys, this happens EVERY year. no surprises here. its just natures way of teasing us. snow and cold will be back next week. keep the wood coming.

I am still going 24/7 I am hopping I can use just the stove the rest of this week and not use any oil. I have one zone that I cannot get warm so the oil kicks on. I am looking for a bigger one for next you so I do not have to use any oil!
Anna Maire

High today 60 °F, Put my last load on last night. It is supposed to be that way for the next several days and then we will see. I hate this up and down part of the season. :shut:

-8* now. Tomorrow and the next day they are saying a today of about 14" of snow. Would be nice, but I have a feeling we won't get much.

wkpoor said:
All I read about here at Hearth was how long every bodies stove will go. Well then if you all have 20-40hr burn times why would anyone have to restart a stove. Seems these EPA stove that like to hold there coals forever are ideal for this time of year. Mine is currently perculating with coals for tonight.

Amazing ain't it? My stove manufacturer says it will provide usable heat for 12 hours, and I can vouch for that, provided I load it up hot, shut down the primary air, and came back in the evening, the stove would still be at about 150, and there would be a few coals in the ashes that are hot enough to start a piece of fat pine smoldering and eventually bursting into flame if the door is left open to fan it. That is all she will do, and there ain't no more, at least at my current level of understanding of the stove and the fuel I have available.

I am still going to try for a 40 hour burn time. ;)

Just went 24 full hours between loads with the englander tonight. In this weather I don't need the full firebox so I let the ashes build up. This not only keeps me from over stuffing the firebox out of habit and cooking us out of the place, but also helps to really insulate the coals.

I loaded the stove at 6:30 pm last night with 2 med-large pieces and 1 med piece of wood. I closed the air down to about 1/4 inch open once it came to temp and just let it ride since I wanted to clean the chimney and it was going to be near 50 today. Came home tonight, started shoveling ash out of the stove at about 5pm and smiled as I still have quarter to half dollar sized chunks of hot coals buried in the ash. Pushed the coals to the back, scooped the ash out, and cleaned the chimney. I finished with the chimney cleaning around 5:30 then went and ate dinner. At 6:30 tonight just for the fun of it I rake foward the coals I had and wanted to see if they would ignite some regular pieces w/out kindling. Sure enough, no problem.

It's going to be in the low 50's tomorrow so the black beast will go hungry tomorrow morning again. W/ cleaning the ash out I doubt I'll be able to go 24 hours again. Time will tell.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.