How you can save big $$ with a wood burning stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I thought I'd share some real-world calculations that I saw posted on the bulletin board at work:

Stove, pipe, installation $2058.00
Chain saw $409.95
Gas & maintenance for saw $44.60
4-wheel drive pick-up $8379.04
4-wheel drive pick-up maintenance $438.00
Replace rear window of pick-up (twice) $310.00
Fine for cutting unmarked tree in state forest $500.00
14 cases of Michelob $252.00
Littering fine $50.00
Charge for towing truck from creek $50.00
Medical costs for removing splinter from eye $500.00
Safety glasses $29.50
Emergency room visit – broken toe from dropped log $1000.00
Safety shoes $49.50
New living room carpet $800.00
Paint for walls and ceiling $110.00
Log splitter $1200.00
15-acre wood lot $30,000.00
Taxes on wood lot $310.45
Raplace coffee table (chopped up and burned while drunk) $75.00
Divorce settlement $85,950.00
Total first year’s costs $132,516.04
Conventional fuel savings – first year $672.37
-----------------
Net cost of first-year wood burning $131,843.67

You forgot the last part....

Secondary burn: Priceless.

Hilarious! Gets even funnier when one considers that, in all likelyhood, somewhere in this country.....a close approximation to that sequence of events has probably taken place!

On a smaller scale.....oh yeah, somewhere at least once an hour.

LOL

Scary how much of that I could justify in the name of heating with wood. Scary.

Laughing my ass off :)

Thank you!!!!

only 14 cases of beer? you had me believing it until I got there

Yikes!....yeah a lot of those costs above look familiar.

It's hard to explain and my wife is real good at it cause she's an old school accountant. But to realize real savings burning with wood you still have to budget for fossil fuels, put that money away and use it for fossil fuels....and it accrues. Of course the fuels you do buy aren't that much. And you can't use that fossil fuel money for just anything cause if you did well ...I dunno, then it would be like other money, I guess.

Well so I can't really explain it as good as her but she has convinced me we have scored huge burning wood since '77.

If thats true i have enough money left over for the 3 saw plan!

Got off a little light on the divorce. Rick

Oh dear.. is that where I am headed? At least I'm rationalizing that moving/cutting/splitting wood is good exercise (have to be careful there - I don't want that argument to backfire when I argue for the splitter eh?). With heating oil down as much as it is I'm already having a hard time justifying things financially... So why AM I doing this? Just because I can't stop?

10 acre woodlot for 30 large? 2 grand for a stove, pipe and installation? How old was this paper on the bulletin board?

mayhem said:
10 acre woodlot for 30 large? 2 grand for a stove, pipe and installation? How old was this paper on the bulletin board?

Mayhem...land can be got here in SE Ohio for $2000/acre. I bought 85 acres 4 years ago at $1200/ac!!! Ohhhhhhh yeah.

I tried to update some of the numbers. It musta' been old since it had 14 cases of michelob for $126! I'm thinking maybe we're talking a vintage VC stove here.

FSM sees all. Have you been touched by His noodly appendage?

Arghh...I didn't always look like this. Rick

fossil said:
Got off a little light on the divorce. Rick

fossil said:
Arghh...I didn't always look like this. Rick

Good to see you got to keep at least one of your eyes in the D... and at least the steering wheel from the boat, even if she got the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.