How You Can Save With A Woodstove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLAYS WITH FIRE

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pa.
This is from a friend's dad who past awhile ago. He was looking through old stuff and found this. I got a kick out of and thought you might too! IMG_0356.JPG

that list has to be from the seventies, look at the price of beer

and "four wheel drive stripped pickup"!!!

And $149 chainsaw!! Well you can still buy a poulan wild thing for that, but i would not want that as a primary saw!

Not to mention a divorce only costing $34,000. >>

Yea, Michelob was 9 bux a case, must be old as heck. We used to get Gold Crown for 9 bux in 1992. We thought Michelob was champagne at that time cause it was expensive, almost a 20 spot.

Great spread sheet for a typewritter. Know spel chek kneeded eather.

Reactions: osagebow
Awesome find

Apparently this man had a bit of time on his hands to be able to sit down and make this list but more importantly a great sense of humor. More power to him. I often think to myself even getting the wood for free how much am I really saving after all is said and done considering my time and all the little expences that go along with it. Answer to myself is simple. It keeps an older fella like myself in shape phisically while being outdoors which I prefer, keeps my butt away from the tv and the computer for an extended period of time and if I'm out of sight I'm out of mind. Less time spent going to Walmart or any other bargain stores for stuff we dont really need anyway with my lovely wife of 35 years. Its a win win situation.

All in good fun, but quite a bit of what people think they need......isn't.
One CS, already have a vehicle, and all the expense can be amortized over many years.
I agree with Brother Bart, divorce isn't that cheap, even amortized.>>

I picked up a copy of that same list from a coworker in the 80's.

At that time, heating with wood was the most common discussion around the water cooler.
I did buy the stove, the 4x4 truck, and chainsaw. The divorce came much later and was not related to wood burning.

MnDave

Reactions: PapaDave
That was a good laugh. Especially nice considering current events.

That cant be for a full year - only 14 cases of beer?

Great find

Reactions: Treacherous
After dropping a big split on my toes not to long ago I can definitely identify with # 13 on the list, although it didn't cost me anything except some sleep that night. <>
But, I don't think burning firewood has lead to many cases of divorce, most wives I know (including mine) really enjoy wood heat. In fact it's probably the only reason my wife hasn't got rid of me yet. ==c

On the other hand, I know many pilots who have suffered from AIDS.
Aviation​
Induced​
Divorce​
Syndrome​

I dont know that i have saved much money on heating costs. I stopped keeping track of expenses related to my stove. For us is more like a hobby, an expensive one i might add, and less of cost savings. I have spent more money because of this forum than I'd care to admit. But at the end of the day its worth it, I like warmth and I like the entire process. That was a nice list tho.

Reactions: firecracker_77
Ain't it the truth!

i have seen that list modernized somewhere.

As I'm 95% deep into my install, I can tell you that list is DEAD on (if you updated the prices to todays of course). In fact, it's missing about a BUNCH of new modern stuff:

-New LCD 60" TV to hang on wall to replace Plasma that was too heavy for mount $2000
-Motorized mount for TV so it goes up out of way of stove and windows... $2100
-New amp/recierver AV controller for above with HDMI input/outputs... $950
-New wall mounted speakers since walls were open... $850
-Blu ray player to go with above of course $100
-New ir Blaster and cables for rf remotes for above $250
-New AV furniture to hold all above $325
-Cables, expensive long ones in walls... $350
-Electrical up to mount and TV, cabling... $500
-New window under TV mount, wall open, got to replace it now! $2,800 (it's a BIG custom window)
-Duct work, inwall duct fan, rayostat for it, electrical.... $450
-Drywall/spackle work for ducting, and TV mount $800
-4 new wood racks built with treated lumber and galv. bolts $200
-Wood tools suggested from THIS site $200
-New wood cart $80
-Self powered ECO Fan for stove $130
-Cast Steamer for stove $80
-Soapstone Pizza stone to make clock to mount above Saopstone stove (mathcing) $70
-New Hearth tool set $150
-New brass hearth tubs for firewood, kindling and ashes $350
-New wood rack for porch to hold dry wood $150
-Pay for Hoist, Scaffolding, to lift 700lb stove and install on 3rd floor! ~$1000
-New blades and tools.... at Home Depot for working/installing all of above $500
- Super cedars $50
- I'm sure I'm missing all kinds of stuff!

Yep, I'm saving a TON of money! ;) When I started, I told my wife, "It's only 3 grand for a stove, what's the big deal?" :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.