How's everybody on fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a little rough, we didn't get the snow here until the end on January, Since then its been cold and snowy, I 've got about 15" in the back yard, pails in comparison to my brothers and sister up in Northeastern New England, but its enough not to be able to do anything in the yard. I have enough wood to get me into mid march, usually the snow is gone by then, although I burned almost to May last year at night due to the cold spring, I hope we don't have to do that again this year. So far I've gone through about 4 cords, last year I went through a total of 6.

Have not had to switch to pallets on the side of the road yet so I guess ok........have a cord left, and half a pallet of fuel blocks

About 5 years ahead. Fuel is not a problem unless someone sneaks in and rips off a couple of trailer loads.

Not as much wood in the shed as I'd like there to be. Just got into wood burning this fall, with no real idea how much wood I would need. I'm guessing I burned 1 1/2 cord? at least. I can probably sail through this month and the next, but when the weather warms up a tad, I'm going scrounging!

At the current pace, I'm good thru April..........of 2020. No snow AT ALL this year, daytime highs in the 60s, lows around freezing (4000 ft. elev.). Crocus are in bloom, tulips and daffodils coming on. I've probably burned 1.5-2 cords this winter, way below average. Got a beautiful 1/2 cord of black oak from a blow-down last week. Cal-trans is still falling trees along the highway, which are easy pickings and close to home. On the downside, water is going to become critical this year (hope my well holds) and wildfires will keep us on edge 'til October or November. Maybe I'll clearcut the neighboring properties as a firebreak (and source of fuel).

Let's see. Never was ahead for firewood, so everything I'm burning has been cut less than one year. In some cases less than six months. So far behind I may never catch up. Had 5 cords in the wood shed in September, that's gone. Another 3 cords of hardwood (white oak, ash, cherry, and sugar maple) cut in mid summer, I have about a cord and a half left. That's all I have left to burn at the moment. I have a mostly-full propane tank and a CB CL5648 with a dual-fuel setup, and I have a feeling I may be switching over to propane by mid-March and walking away from it until at least May. I have a few cords of pine and poplar that are still in 8'-20' logs, and they are buried under a couple or more feet of snow, frozen solid. It's not even worth trying at this point. I burn year-round for heat and for hot water, so I'm really screwed if I can't get ahead of my burn rate and stay there. On top of all that, my wood boiler is running poorly because my chimney is full of creosote, my door is cracked, gasket is shot, and the wood I'm burning is too wet to burn. So I'm probably going through twice as much as I should, anyway. I need a cord a month on average to burn year round, so I've got to find 24 cords of wood to be ahead 1 year, of which 18 cords I can keep in a wood shed under cover.

I'm on my last cord of good dry wood. I gathered 31.5 cord last year, burned 7 and working on 8th, this is ash I got in October. When this is gone I will be pulling down maple from August or poplar from September because everything older is oak. I was thinking 8-10 cord a year as a worst case scenario but it looks like this is going to be reality. Maybe when I'm able to burn oak I will use less.

31.5! Good grief I thought my 14 cords was a lot _g

I am good. Burned 2 cord so far and have another 3 I can use.

Got about 1/4 cord of my "sucky" wood. After that I would have to break into next years stacks which I'm trying real hard not to do or I'll be singing the same song year after year.

Everything about the three year plan is great except it takes three years (especially w/ oak).

Looks like I'm going to make it. Just saw the propane man drive by the house, i sure wish he would use all of his fingers when he waves.

That is not a wave that is the propane guy salute to us wood burners.

Reactions: Smoke Signals
Running low on dry cord-wood, have ~3 cord drying for next year. Picked up a ton of Gren Bricks on Saturday. The Gren Bricks work O K but they are not like cord-wood. The ton should get me through the winter.

I am into my last stack of wood that is ready for this season, but I should be okay. Despite this late cold spell that we have been under, I have a feeling that it should break soon, and temps will be more seasonable in the low 40's so I shouldn't be going through it at this crazy clip like I have been! But we'll see!

Reactions: mikey517
Hope your right PA. Just would like some normal seasonal temps.

Hope your right PA. Just would like some normal seasonal temps.

I hear you....Sunday here was up near 40 where it's supposed to be this time of year for us, went for a walk with the wife and it was amazing how "different" we felt, especially mood-wise! But I said to her "enjoy it, if these forecasters are right we'll be right back in the cold snap again", and amazingly so far they have been correct. But next week they say should be pushing 40 most days, so maybe the start of March will bring some more normal temps, but as we all know March can be VERY fickle!

Reactions: jatoxico
If I run out of seasoned fire wood in one season of burning don't bother come looking for me . . . Maine has been covered in a glacier and we're in a new ice age. :)

My brother played in the Senior League World Series in Bangor a few years back. They said the area was very nice and enjoined the trip, but they also were not there in winter!

My brother played in the Senior League World Series in Bangor a few years back. They said the area was very nice and enjoined the trip, but they also were not there in winter!

They've been hosting the Senior League World Series up here for some time now . . . they seem to do a good job of making this event go well.

I ran my planned 2 year wood supply out last week. I had some 2 year mixed in with some one year so I raided it. Funny, I had drier wood this year but its been a cold winter in northern NH. I am running my mini split hard and have about 1 MW credit that will stretch out the remaining 2 year wood and worse case I hit next winters wood. Looks like I need a splitter this summer as hand splitting is eating up too much time when I could be hauling.

I've burned about a 2 cord mix of oak, hack, maple and cherry. Got about another dry cord left of maple and cherry. Things should start improving around here soon so I think I'll have some extra to add to next years stash of almost all oak.
Well, you got plenty of cold weather this season to test your stoveand wood stash on! _g I'm sitting pretty, probably about 4 yrs. ahead with more to get once temps return to normal.

Reactions: Rebelduckman
I'm on my last cord of good dry wood. I gathered 31.5 cord last year, burned 7 and working on 8th, this is ash I got in October. When this is gone I will be pulling down maple from August or poplar from September because everything older is oak. I was thinking 8-10 cord a year as a worst case scenario but it looks like this is going to be reality. Maybe when I'm able to burn oak I will use less.

Absolutely!

Reactions: Woody Stover
This year was my first year burning. I got 10 full cords cut, split and stacked (already seasoned as I cut nothing but dead and down) and have 1 full cord left, maybe a bit more. Virtually all of it was mixed hardwood.

I went through a TON of wood this year, but also had some issues in the beginning with my furnace, as it's 40 years old, and was quite the learning curve from the radiant stove I grew up on.

This year, I plan on getting two years ahead. If that means 30 full cords, so be it. I do plan on getting a newer high efficiency wood furnace though in fall.

Enough here that I actually started selling a little. Sold by the 10CF wheelbarrow load, picked-up. Met some pretty happy folks too.

Reactions: Mag Craft
What does a cord sell for in Va

In the DC area anywhere from 150-400 per cord. Some sell it by the chord, large cord and small cord even truck and trunk full.

Last edited:
Used 4+ of mixed hardwood last year which was a fairly long Winter as Winters go here.
Have used 4 cords of red oak and about 1/4 cord of pine and 1/4 cord fir so far this year.
Started out with 7 cords of seasoned red oak, one cord of almost ready red oak, one cord of almost ready white oak, one cord of mixed hardwood (mostly oak ), 1/2 cord each of red maple, eastern white pine and a fir tree.

Added to the stacks this Winter: 3 cord green red oak. 1.5 cord dead standing red oak. 1/3 cord white pine, 1/3 cord blue spruce.
Filled a tri-axle dump with red maple at a cranberry bog and had it delivered to my yard in January but it has been sitting under two tarps (2 to 3 cords I guess) hoping to get into c/s/s it. Hasn't happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.