Hows slab wood for burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weatherguy

Minister of Fire
Feb 20, 2009
Central Mass
I ran into a guy that has a sawmill, says I can take as many truckloads as I want at $25 per, its all hardwood. I dont have experience with slab wood, should I load up on it? No splitting, just have to cut it to length.
I only have 3 seasoned cords for next year so I need to come up with at least one more cord that will be ready next burning season to be on the safe side. If this stuff is good maybe Ill get 3 cords or so.

weatherguy,
I remember hearing alot of people burning slab with good luck. I remember them using slab to supplement their supply which I think you were implying. I think if you mix it you will be fine.
My question to you is how in the hell does a Boston Terrier do it with a Ridgeback????

-PB- said:
weatherguy,
I remember hearing alot of people burning slab with good luck. I remember them using slab to supplement their supply which I think you were implying. I think if you mix it you will be fine.
My question to you is how in the hell does a Boston Terrier do it with a Ridgeback????

I have no idea, I was'nt there, lol, but this is the end result

IMG_7697.jpg

IMHO the big problem is safely and efficiently cutting it to length. Others have experimented and posted. Seems to me that the trick is to wrap a bundle up on a sawbuck or other support, then slicing off layers with chainsaw. Lotsa pieces involved.

Mill slabs are off the log exterior; unless the logs are debarked, the slabs will have LOTS of bark.

Bark does:
seal water in/out
when dry, burn hot with all the waxes within
leave lots of ash.

Potentially good kindling, shoulder-season fuel. At the price, who's quibbling?

weatherguy said:
I ran into a guy that has a sawmill, says I can take as many truckloads as I want at $25 per, its all hardwood. I dont have experience with slab wood, should I load up on it? No splitting, just have to cut it to length.
I only have 3 seasoned cords for next year so I need to come up with at least one more cord that will be ready next burning season to be on the safe side. If this stuff is good maybe Ill get 3 cords or so.

I like slabs . . . but I don't know if I would pay a whole lot . . . well anything . . . for slabs. Of course, around here we mostly have slabs from softwoods which I find are fantastic for using as kindling and for the shoulder seasons. The advantage is they season pretty quickly . . . disadvantage is they burn up pretty quickly.

I don't know if I would count on slabs for that extra cord of wood you need . . . but it might be decent wood for burning in the shoulder seasons to "save" your good wood for when you're burning more regularly . . . a lot will also depend on the thickness of the slabs. Some slabwood is nothing more like kindling and others can have a fair amount of "meat" on them.

I've known many who heat with only slab wood. The only caution is to be careful you don't over fire the stove. Cutting it is not that big of a problem. It is a cheap way to heat for the winter.

slabs..good price...good wood...no heavy lifting or splitting,for sure...but it's gopher wood.
through a piece of wood in the stove, then gopher another.

Status
Not open for further replies.