How's the stove keeping up today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine doesn`t have to keep up. My 4 zone oil heating system is reasonably new , pretty much state of the art , definitely more than capable and it keeps my house evenly heated to whatever the thermostats are set for. The pellet stove provides supplementary heat only so I never have a need to push it.
At 7AM it was -5 degrees. Actually I never know how cold it is outside till I check the digital thermometer cause my house is very comfy.

A balmy 7 degrees this morning.
Enviromaxx on setting three puts house at 70. burns two bags.
at least it got to 23 degrees this afternoon !

Stay warm !

CWR said:
I would feel better if the Pats showed up to the game today!

Oh well, there's always next year!

Chan

Off subject, but.... Recorded the game while we watched Gladiator (was not optimistic especially after losing Welker). After this comment, I checked the box scores.

Looks like the Pats fans that watched the game live watched another version of Gladiator.

24 Points in the 1st quarter? 3 Interceptions ? :bug:

Was 2F this AM in southern Maine, and the Harman Accentra is pumping the heat something serious. 77F in the kitchen, 72F in the livingroom and 70F upstairs by the bedrooms..Whooo Hoo. I should mention this was after a serious cleaning yesterday AM. Don't plan on seeing that lousy oilman till the Spring.

Burning CleanFires from last year and there pretty damn good if I do say so myself..It's nice to have choices in life!! Long live the Pellet!!!

gbreda said:
CWR said:
I would feel better if the Pats showed up to the game today!

Oh well, there's always next year!

Chan

Off subject, but.... Recorded the game while we watched Gladiator (was not optimistic especially after losing Welker). After this comment, I checked the box scores.

Looks like the Pats fans that watched the game live watched another version of Gladiator.

24 Points in the 1st quarter? 3 Interceptions ? :bug:

Don't mind the off subject. What else we going to do in the. The tele' works for me to. PPV movies on the sat for me*with beer, popcorn and snacks).

Staying in and warm is good. Puts on the winter fluff.

Bank said:
Was 2F this AM in southern Maine, and the Harman Accentra is pumping the heat something serious. 77F in the kitchen, 72F in the livingroom and 70F upstairs by the bedrooms..Whooo Hoo. I should mention this was after a serious cleaning yesterday AM. Don't plan on seeing that lousy oilman till the Spring.

Burning CleanFires from last year and there pretty damn good if I do say so myself..It's nice to have choices in life!! Long live the Pellet!!!

I like your attitude! :)

Glad everyone is staying warm today(yes Gio even the HHO guys). Actually got pretty warm 23ºF for what was forcast for us here. Don't think I'll get thru 2 bags either. Probably just a bag and a half. Looks like we are heading for a warmer spell for a while. May see 40's next week. Maybe I can get a few more pellet brands tested this week.

To the people that may be cold. Wish you much warmth! Post something in the forums. The gang here will be glad to assist in the issue's you may have. Don't wish the cold on anyone as I have been there before. I like it warm much better.

Stay warm and take it easy.
jay

jtakeman said:
Really cold here in New England. My stove is just chugging along on medium. House is a nice 72ºF. I'll bet we will use 2 bags plus today easy! We may just barely make it into the teens here today. BRRRR!

Looks like the Florida idea is out too. My inlaws phoned the other day and said there freezing there can's, Peaches, lemons, and Oranges off down there. 1st time in 20 some odd years they saw snow sleat and freezing rain there. When they called we were actually warmer here in CT. They had 25ºF and we had 27ºF. Go figure with this global warming. I wonder if the Floridians will be getting into the pellet market because of this?

How is everyone else making out with this cold snap were getting hit with? Ya all doing OK?

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,
It's toasty warm here in Bangor Maine with my Englander 25PDVC running on 2 & 2 and full of the HD Winter Warmth Pellets! Those pellets are really doing the job and they run clean and hot with little ash. Temps out of the stove are averaging 225-240 on the settings of 2 and 2. It was 2 above zero last night and it's 10 above right now and my house is running 74-76 in the room with the stove and 69-70 throughout the rest of the 1600sf house with a fan helping. Chilli is simmerin' on the stove and beer is chillin' in the fridge! Not too shabby for a January day! If you lived closer I'd donate a couple of bags of the HD WW for your testing but shipping them is expensive and would cut into the beer budget.... LOL----Lorne.

lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
Really cold here in New England. My stove is just chugging along on medium. House is a nice 72ºF. I'll bet we will use 2 bags plus today easy! We may just barely make it into the teens here today. BRRRR!

Looks like the Florida idea is out too. My inlaws phoned the other day and said there freezing there can's, Peaches, lemons, and Oranges off down there. 1st time in 20 some odd years they saw snow sleat and freezing rain there. When they called we were actually warmer here in CT. They had 25ºF and we had 27ºF. Go figure with this global warming. I wonder if the Floridians will be getting into the pellet market because of this?

How is everyone else making out with this cold snap were getting hit with? Ya all doing OK?

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,
It's toasty warm here in Bangor Maine with my Englander 25PDVC running on 2 & 2 and full of the HD Winter Warmth Pellets! Those pellets are really doing the job and they run clean and hot with little ash. Temps out of the stove are averaging 225-240 on the settings of 2 and 2. It was 2 above zero last night and it's 10 above right now and my house is running 74-76 in the room with the stove and 69-70 throughout the rest of the 1600sf house with a fan helping. Chilli is simmerin' on the stove and beer is chillin' in the fridge! Not too shabby for a January day! If you lived closer I'd donate a couple of bags of the HD WW for your testing but shipping them is expensive and would cut into the beer budget.... LOL----Lorne.

Lorne,

I understand and appreciate the offer. We don't need to make fedex, ups or usps rich either. I'll find them sooner or later. Most seem to like them and are looking for more.

Chilli sounds good and I love beer. Back to the fridge for another. Have to make me some chilli in the next cold snap we have! Then its chilli cheese dogs when the wife works late, kid and I love them!

Glad you warm,
jay

jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

I understand and appreciate the offer. We don't need to make fedex, ups or usps rich either. I'll find them sooner or later. Most seem to like them and are looking for more.

Chilli sounds good and I love beer. Back to the fridge for another. Have to make me some chilli in the next cold snap we have! Then its chilli cheese dogs when the wife works late, kid and I love them!

Glad you warm,
jay
I checked FedEx ( they're usually the cheapest for shipping heavy things) and it was $38.00 per 40 lb bag so that idea was was down the drain. That buys a lot of pellets not to mention Beer! LOL The chilli is Good, just the thing for cold weather. The chilli cheese dogs are great too but I don't have any more room right now. I do have a 16 oz spot that I'll have to fill soon. LOL Thnx----Lorne.

lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay
I checked FedEx ( they're usually the cheapest for shipping heavy things) and it was $38.00 per 40 lb bag so that idea was was down the drain. That buys a lot of pellets not to mention Beer! LOL The chilli is Good, just the thing for cold weather. The chilli cheese dogs are great too but I don't have any more room right now. I do have a 16 oz spot that I'll have to fill soon. LOL Thnx----Lorne.

That would be alot of pellet and or BEER! You could ship me beer, That should be cheaper! just kidding. :lol:

10 here at about 7 am
71 in the house set at 6 and 9.

jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay

That would be alot of pellet and or BEER! You could ship me beer, That should be cheaper! just kidding. :lol:

I'd love to ship you some beer Jay, but I promised myself I'd never ship beer again after the last shipment had a mishap....
Is that a tear I see in your eye---chortle....

Attachments

• beer.jpg
    beer.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 268
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman" date="1263157312 said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay

I'd love to ship you some beer Jay, but I promised myself I'd never ship beer again after the last shipment had a mishap....

Yes it is! I like Grolsch thats just a waste right there! sniff, sniff! :sick:

jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41" date="1263182268 said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay

Yes it is! I like Grolsch thats just a waste right there! sniff, sniff! :sick:

Yep, that's a horrible sight and it's one of the reasons I just can't ship you any beer. It took me a long time to recover after, I spent months in deep therapy on a Caribbean Island taking only liquid medication at Capt'n Larry's Bar & Spa Recovery Center...
But if it's any help, I can email you pics of beer! LOL

4 above this AM and a high of 14. Also had wind off and on.
Running living room @ 75 upstairs hallway @ 70.
Noth facing upstairs bedroom around 64 (Bumping it up to 67 with.....oil (Sorry!!))
Love the pellet heat!!
1 to 1.5 bags/day right now

5 degrees this morning osburn 35 at heat level 4 of 6
burning the pennywise's . upper level at 76.
Being the weekend will start the osburn 35 in the lower level also
using about 2.5 bags on the weekend. probably 1.5 through the week at these
outside temps.

Trickyrick said:
Was 1 degree not including the little bit of wind this AM. Turned stove down to 72 last night (oops) dropped the other side a little low (67) so it took longer to recover. Back to normal 73 throughout the house.

LOVE the stove and the southern Inlaws couldn't get used to 67 in the house so this makes it comfortable for all

STAY WARM

You're lucky with YOUR in-laws!!! My mother in law is here for three weeks and she constantly bitches about being too cold!! As I write this, the damn house is at 78 degrees, two pellets stoves are going non-stop, and I'm on my third bag of pellets today! I want to kill something!!!! Send me to Afghanistan, give me a .50 sniper rifle, two cases of beer, two boxes of Moon Pies, and put me on a mountaintop with the OK to shoot anything that moves. That's how I feel.. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh, and she's STILL bitching it's cold!!!!!!!!!! Of course, we have had about ten days in a row with 15 to 18 at night and 30's during the day here in Georgia so that doesn't help. Very unusual weather.
I'm going to grow mushrooms in here as I sit in my underwear sweating!

6* tonight. 6039I is doin pretty well, 6 0f 9 in auto with a load of Marths. living room is 74* rest of house is warm. I will turn stove down and let oil heat a little in the morning when I wake up maybe if its 0* just to keep from freezing pipes. Hasn't happened yet but why take chance. Gotta get a little oil this week for DHW and backup heat. Shoulda bought 2 weeks ago when price was 30 -40 cents cheaper. grrrrrrrrr.

Schoondog

lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay

That's some serious alcohol abuse! There should be a law against that... (BRB--need to get a fresh beer)

(...3 min later...)

Stove has been running mostly all day.... it seems to only take short 15 min breaks before lighting again.... I'm now down to about ~70 bags--time to consider purchasing another ton!

Anyone in central maine have any good pellet dealers? I'm buying from Dysart's but I'm somewhat disappointed with the Energex this year especially given the cost ($280/ton)

schoondog said:
6* tonight. 6039I is doin pretty well, 6 0f 9 in auto with a load of Marths.......
Schoondog

Schoon, I don't know if i asked this already....where did you get the Marth's? Price?

I test burned a few bags.....I was impressed. Sleeper pellet of the year, IMO.

Came thru duplicate....

mainegeek said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay

That's some serious alcohol abuse! There should be a law against that... (BRB--need to get a fresh beer)

(...3 min later...)

Stove has been running mostly all day.... it seems to only take short 15 min breaks before lighting again.... I'm now down to about ~70 bags--time to consider purchasing another ton!

Anyone in central maine have any good pellet dealers? I'm buying from Dysart's but I'm somewhat disappointed with the Energex this year especially given the cost ($280/ton)

If ya' keep starin' at the photo of all the spilled beer, you'll have to go to Capt'n Larry's Bar & Spa Recovery Center in the Caribbean for an extended stay.... LOL

Seriously though, check out the Home Depot Winter Warmth Pellets. I've been buring them for almost 2 weeks and they're fantastic for me. They burn HOT and clean in my Englander 25-PDVC. I bought a ton Athens from Dysarts last year, they burned OK but a lot of ash and burned dirty. The Winter Warmth I'm burning right now are averaging 235-245 temps output on the stove. The newer Penningtons ( later 2009 production) at Wal-Mart are a heck of a lot better than the ones last year and burn much cleaner with better heat. As the other forum members have recommended, buy a few bags to try and then if they burn well for you, buy more. I'm going over to HD tomorrow and pick up some more because I like them and they burn well.
Darn, I shouldn't be tellin' all you Maine Guys about the HD Winter Warmth pellets and keep them all to myself....

lorne41 said:
mainegeek said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman said:
lorne41 said:
jtakeman" date="1263182853 said:

Stay warm
jay

Hi Jay,

Lorne,

Glad you warm,
jay

(...3 min later...)

If ya' keep starin' at the photo of all the spilled beer, you'll have to go to Capt'n Larry's Bar & Spa Recovery Center in the Caribbean for an extended stay.... LOL

Seriously though, check out the Home Depot Winter Warmth Pellets. I've been buring them for almost 2 weeks and they're fantastic for me. They burn HOT and clean in my Englander 25-PDVC. I bought a ton Athens from Dysarts last year, they burned OK but a lot of ash and burned dirty. The Winter Warmth I'm burning right now are averaging 235-245 temps output on the stove. The newer Penningtons ( later 2009 production) at Wal-Mart are a heck of a lot better than the ones last year and burn much cleaner with better heat. As the other forum members have recommended, buy a few bags to try and then if they burn well for you, buy more. I'm going over to HD tomorrow and pick up some more because I like them and they burn well.
Darn, I shouldn't be tellin' all you Maine Guys about the HD Winter Warmth pellets and keep them all to myself....

lol, funny that you mention it.... the wife and I are on our way to the carribean for a 7 day cruise the last week of Feb. We've been saving FOREVER for this

I tried Penningtons last year but was not impressed. Energex burned ok last year but this year seems to have more ash (but less clinkers). Same setings on the stove and 7 days for a burn pot cleaning is pushing it... last year the cleanings could be pushed to 10 days (way more ash this year). I'm not sure why... same settings, pellets appear to be shorter this year, and less clinkers this year but I feel like I'm up to my eyeballs in ash

Status
Not open for further replies.