How's your wood supply for next winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Alright, off the bat here- Zap and Savage you guys are like my wood burning heroes, but you're not allowed to answer this one.

I got a cord and a half split and stacked. About another cord bucked and waiting to be split and stacked at my house. Then i have about another half cord at a couple of friend's houses that need to be picked up, split and stacked. I think it's all locust, sugar maple, and oak. There may be some other stuff randomly thrown in there, but not much of anything else. So I still have to gather at least another two cords in the next few weeks and hope for a hot dry summer so this wood's good to burn next winter.

My goal is to quickly get the four cords I'll need for next winter split and stacked, then start cranking into the following winter. We'll see how I do.

How's your wood supply for next winter?

I got on the sign-up list for a 9-cord load of birch. cut last march, to be delivered in June or July. Wood seasons fast here, and I expect to be able to burn some of that next winter. I plan on using three cords of birch a winter, along with 1-2 cords of aspen and cottonwood from my property. Emphasis will be on using standing dead or downed trees. I also plan on getting a woodshed up this summer, 24x8. That will be big enough to hold the birch, and I've got dry storage area availble for most of the poplar. If I achieve all of that and have the means and time and energy, I'd like to get one more logging load of birch as well, to be worked up for subsequent years. I believe that kind of a supply will put me in a position to glean at my leisure. If I get my boiler fixed and get my fuel tanks filled, as well, I'd be about seven years to the good, with the plan to continue to work up poplar a few years in advance of its use.

That might not sound much like being on top of my wood supply for next year, but once I have a plan, and can envision it, then it usually comes to pass. I"m pretty comfortable having this much progress.

I have just finished stacking our wood for next winter. I suspect we will burn about 1 1/2 cords but have a couple of cords ready.
We don't get the very long cold winters here that you get there, so our consumption is quite modest in comparison.

Any more wood that I see around now will go into the next pile for winter 2012/13!!!!!!

I don't measure in cords, I stack my wood in rows and a row will last me two weeks in the cold weather. And I have 8 rows stacked and a pile of wood to stack (would say another 10 rows) some where around 9 months of straight burning. Most of it is oak.

With all the snow I've been reduced to walking in, cutting, and bucking. 4 cord c/s/s for next season. For 2012 I have about 9 cords bucked, only 2 hauled home but it's only a mile away. The frost is out of the ground and it's way to wet to get back there for weeks. Time to maintain the splitter, clear the stacking area, etc...

I'll have 2 cord left over from this years burn that will be 3 years since split by next Fall. The rest of next year's burn is coming from this heap that will be 2 to 2.5 years since split by next Fall. The scrounging pipeline is now fully in play.

Attachments

• 041710heap.jpg
    041710heap.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 570
The clam truck will be delivering my load this week. Dad and I usually split a load of logs per year. It will be bucked, split and stacked by April. We usually see 8+ cord per load of logs. This year is supposed to me a Maple, Beech, Ash mix. Last year was Beech, Maple, Ironwood. Price has gone up as well. Last year was $900/load. This year is $1000. On the plus side, I still have almost 2 cord left over from this season.

I got this winter and the following winter's worth sitting stacked last summer(about 4 cords per year). Just got another load delivered in January that my neighbour and I are splitting 50/50 which will be for the winter after the 2 already stacked. I am a full convert to the well seasoned wood burns much better school of thought.

I have 2x to 3x what I burnt this year left over, so I ought to be just fine next year. And the one after that.

4 cord or so split and stacked in early 2010, to be used in 2011-2012. Currently preparing 5-7 cord (best estimate right now) for 2 years of burning for 2012-2013, and 2013-2014

Shawn

We get all our wood from scrounging and Craigs List....Looks like we'll have about 2 cords left over from this year...have about 4 cords c/s/s since November last year and about 1.5 cords some split & some just bucked for the following year. Also plan to erect a wood shed that should hold around 6 seasoned cords and also a storage area for various winter/summer implelements. This is going to be another very busy year for us with the shed and other projects on "the list".

DaFattKidd said:
Alright, off the bat here- Zap and Savage you guys are like my wood burning heroes, but you're not allowed to answer this one.

Aw, why not? But I can understand with Zap. He has more wood than I do.

How many cords this count for?

Attachments

• slab walnut.jpg
    slab walnut.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 514
Will it fit in the stove Jay? If so, it is definitely not a cord there.

Yeah, I think firewood discrimination has started here on the Hearth with this one. :lol:
I'll play......should have about one to two cord left from this year, then I'll refill the shed from the 5 cord put up in Aug. of '09. There's another 3 1/3 cord in another stack out back, and Ill be cutting up at least 5 cord this year.
Just got done with about 1/3 cord of Spruce for this coming "shoulder season". It should be dry. Did the same last year, and it was.
I'm gooder to go.

Backwoods Savage said:
DaFattKidd said:

Aw, why not? But I can understand with Zap. He has more wood than I do.

Do not! :mad:

Zap

Do to! ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
Will it fit in the stove Jay? If so, it is definitely not a cord there.

Thats a 10 footer I think it will just squeeze in there. Should be a Nice little over night-er! lol

Zap and Savage, if you 2 don' stop it and I mean RIGHT NOW, I am going to pull this car over !!!!!

Shawn

Looking good & better all the time.About 6 loads left here in backyard,another 8-9 stored in shed at parent's acreage 1 hr west of me & I'm always on the lookout for more via CL & other scrounging.There's more deadfall & other cleanup that needs done at parents,looks like about another 8-9 loads for starters that's fairly accessible & not over on those 2 very steep hills.Gonna ask brother if he wants to help out,I'll share the wood 50/50.This winter,though a brutal January,was still milder over all with about 1/2 the snowfall so far.Nearest I can tell is I burned about 25% less than last winter.

Like everyone else here,I'd really appreciate a 40hr day once in a while or more help haha

I'd love to get some stuff from CL, but all I ever find is over near TC area, about 2 hours away.
I should be getting over to my sis-in-law's place this year, which will help out quite a bit. I hope that works out.

yooperdave said:
smokinjay said:
How many cords this count for?

damn nice split there, jay!! must be one heck-uva stroke on the splitter of yours!!

Or a helluva wedge..........

I reckon that one split would pretty well double my wood supply for next year................

Status
Not open for further replies.