HS Mansfield secondary air flow.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2006
Pittsburgh
Hello all,

I finally got a 6" wire brush and 18' of fiberglass rods and cleaned the Flex King. After two years of burning there was 1/4" of creosote build up at the exposed pipe above the masonry, but the rest was very clean.
If you remember my install, the flex liner runs straight up from the (Mansfield) stove which is surrounded by fire place. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3307/ In an effort to avoid disconnecting and resealing and stove moving, I tried to stuff a contractors garbage bag up over the baffle and under the flue pipe to catch the creosote, but I couldn't get it back far enough and it landed on the ceramic blanket. While trying to vacuum/ scoop it out I noticed the two rectangular steel supports that hold up the baffle along the back of the firebox were loose, so I lifted the rear of the baffle, moved them out of the way, and lowered the back end to dump it's contents onto the back of the fire box. During the process I noticed the steel supports had been cemented to the back of the fire box and apparently conduct the secondary air to the burn tubes from two holes in the base. When I put it back together I took care to be sure the they were lined up properly, but i wonder if they may need to be sealed at the base with refractory cement to maintain the air flow to the burn tubes. I suppose I'll find out shortly as the season begins in earnest. Anyway, nice to be back in the 'Hearth Room', I've mostly been browsing the 'Green Room' over the summer.

Marty: Just took a look at mine and the top is not sealed where they meet.

Thanks bebop, The more I think about it, it seems the cement was only along the back to keep logs from knocking them out of position. I will probably work just fine.

How long have you been burning in that Mansfield, and how do you like it so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.