HS TARM question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doro place

Jan 8, 2017
Rhode Island
Hello All,
I have this HS TRAM in my basement. There was no paper work with it. I would like to sell it. As far as I can see it is in very good condition. I live in New England and I am sure someone would love to heat their home with it! Can anyone advise me on how much to sell it for and how to go about it? I am not sure what model it is or what year it was made. Please see pictures below. Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2356.JPG
    IMG_2356.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 211
Hello All,
I have this HS TRAM in my basement. There was no paper work with it. I would like to sell it. As far as I can see it is in very good condition. I live in New England and I am sure someone would love to heat their home with it! Can anyone advise me on how much to sell it for and how to go about it? I am not sure what model it is or what year it was made. Please see pictures below. Any advice would be appreciated!
I had luck selling a gasfication boiler via Craigslist. I chose to put it in areas that I thought would draw interest and still be within somewhat reasonable driving range (CT, Western MA, VT, NH, ME and upstate NY). I was pleasantly surprised at the volume of responses. I placed the add in late winter/early spring to catch people that were thing for next year. Be prepared that you will get a lot of people contacting you that have no idea what you looking at so there is a little effort to find real "potential" buyers. I actually sold mine quicker than I expected. How much to sell it for is a crap shoot. Mine was only 1 year old so it was a little different, my gut is saying 20 to 25 cents on the $. Be curious to hear what others think.

You might look under Forums on this site and place a listing under the "Classifieds for Sale/ Wanted, etc" heading. You see wood boilers listed on eBay also.

One suggestion, if you are capable do a leak test on the water side. If the unit is leaking it could be scrap. The folks down in Orford NH are worth giving a call once you have the manuals. I don't think this is $1000 unit. I have seen them over the years listed as free if you are willing to move them (they weigh a lot and most folks aren't equipped to remove them from a typical basement) My guess is $500??

Just to give you an idea

I bought my 4 year old Tarm for just less than 50% of a new one. It included the pump, mixing and expansion tanks.

The OPs Tarm is more like 25 years old

Yes. That's why I gave him my own example of value. My boiler has been out of production for only a little over a year. I fully agree that the value on that old girl is cents on the dollar.

It may even cost him to move it out of the building depending on it's location and difficulty.

That's how I got my Burnham, the owner was going to have to pay someone to take it out. I checked the water side for leaks and carefully pulled the boiler and all the piping and accessories.

The problem with that design is running it without storage is a recipe for chimney fires. The cost to put storage in is pricey if done right so most folks don't want to risk the installation with a unknown used boiler. If it was close to me I would consider it as I already have a 30 year old wood boiler so a spare would be nice. Once I saw where it was installed I would consider taking it out for free but that's about it.

Hey Doro place, Lift the top cover off and there should be a metal label on top of the boiler,up near the front, telling you all the info you want. I've been watching boilers for sale like that and I would say they sell in the $500 to $1200 range.

Hey Doro place, Lift the top cover off and there should be a metal label on top of the boiler,up near the front, telling you all the info you want. I've been watching boilers for sale like that and I would say they sell in the $500 to $1200 range.

When I was looking several years ago plenty of folks where asking $500 to $1,200 dollars on Uncle Henry's (a predecessor to Craigslist in northern new england) but I don't how many of them were getting what they were asking. I used to see the same listings repeated for quite awhile over and over again which implies to me that the asking prices were too high. I have on the other hand run into a couple of free for the taking ones and just recently could have had a dual fuel with a leaking dome gasket "free for the taking" (it was beast). Maybe its worth that much sitting in a garage with a good pressure test and a hoist for the buyer to load it onto the truck. As long as oil or gas is cheap there is far less demand for wood heating appliances especially one that is fairly old technology and going to cost a bundle to install properly. Generally the type of person willing to take on a project like this is out to do it cheap, like me, and unless you just get lucky and someone has cash burning a hole his pocket, there will be lot of tire kickers chewing up the sellers time. The typical buyer will come look at it, figure how motivated you are to get rid of it and then offer a lowball price. The other issue is liability, the boiler weighs a lot and requires proper rigging, if someone comes to remove it and gets hurt or breaks something it could rapidly become a net loss.

I got $500 for my old one. (Not a Tarm - was a wood/oil combo). Or maybe 450. And I was very happy to get it.

Anyway, for that, I had it all out & on a pallet & ready to go in our shop, & I loaded it onto the trailer for him with our tractor when he got here - is yours all ready to go & can you load him up? There's a bit of work involved getting it from all hooked up in place where it was heating, to out & on a truck/trailer.