Hudson Valley NY Box Stores

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
next year all member in the Hudson valley should do a large group buy at Lowes and get a few truck loads of sets :) Go big go home.

I tried this season and my idea fell apart 2x with others. I was all for it especially since Lowe's will get you what you want as long as it's a full truckload of 22 pallets!!! I'd be interested next season??

Just got back from a trip into Hudson, so I figured I'd check the local TSC and Lowes. Lowes has North American (doesn't everyone, it seems?), but they also have a half pallet of Presto-logs down on the floor. TSC has their Hardwood blend ("might be" MWP based on the SKU) but also Ozark Hardwoods. I'm trying to find info on those. Not a lot online on them.

Burning a bag of Pure Fire from the new TSC in Kingston and they are really nice! Very little ash and nice heat. I paid ~$5/bag. I burned about a half bag of Green Supremes over the last couple of weeks and thought my stove was broken they burned no poorly, no heat, very dirty. I scooped them out and put them in the Pellet Basket I have in my fireplace.

Hello everyone! Is it just me or do the big box stores in your area seem to only carry 1 or 2 brands of pellets? HD only has Green Supreme and Lowe's has North American, Green Team and Timber Heat. I have an Englander 25 PDV and it seems to like hardwood the best. Last season I had very good luck with Presto's and Hamers, but neither is selling them at this time. Suggestions are most welcomed at this time, thank you :)

A few years ago I burned Green Supreme all season and was quite happy, although I came to love FiresideUltras much more. BUT....the few bags of GS I brought home to try this year are the dirtiest pellets I have ever burned - glass filthy in a few hours. Has anyone tried Cleanfire Pacifics? I am considering buying them but do not have the chance to try a few bags first. Any input will be appreciated.

I used the greenfire pacifics last year with no issues. Great heat, very low ash. Reading other posts last year some members had clinkering issue and Cleanfire appears to have had a bad batch at one point. I purchased mine in an early buy and loved them. I will note that I had to cut back on the combustion air do to the high temp burn rate!

A few years ago I used Pennington from HD in Harriman. Worst pellets I ever used. I actually had HD come out and pick up the 4.5 remaining tons after I showed the store mgr an unopened bag had about 20% fines right in plain sight. No charge for the pickup and new pellets were delivered.

I still haven't bought my 5 tons this year. Trying to find a deal. Anyone in the lower Hudson Valley know of any coupons for HD, Lowe's or TSC?

Well...At least Pennington makes great grass seed!

......Has anyone tried Cleanfire Pacifics? I am considering buying them but do not have the chance to try a few bags first. Any input will be appreciated.

Yes I burned Cleanfire Pacifics. Last year I burned 1.5 tons of softwood and 1 ton of hardwood. The softwood had less ash and was easier to start a cold stove. This year I went with 1.5 tons Cleanfire Pacific softwood and 1.5 Tons of LGs for $298 a ton with delivery. I loved the Cleanfire Pacific softwood last year. Best pellet I have ever burned. This year I have only burned a 1 and half bags of LGs. So far I am very happy with the low ash content on the LGs.

My stove cleaning times:
  • 3 to 4 weeks Cleanfire Pacific softwood (Hence more heat when stove stays cleaner longer).
  • 2 weeks Green Supremes and other 1% ash content pellets I have burned over the years.
  • 1 to 2 weeks North American (This pellet looks like it snowing in there). Worst pellet I have ever burned.

A few years ago I used Pennington from HD in Harriman. Worst pellets I ever used. I actually had HD come out and pick up the 4.5 remaining tons after I showed the store mgr an unopened bag had about 20% fines right in plain sight. No charge for the pickup and new pellets were delivered.

I still haven't bought my 5 tons this year. Trying to find a deal. Anyone in the lower Hudson Valley know of any coupons for HD, Lowe's or TSC?

Email me I have a few I'm not using. [email protected]

Be thankful you all got your pellets here in the HV because the price has gone UP!!!! At Lowe's & HD they went from $239 to $270 at ton and Green Team went from $300 to $350!!! I wouldn't say there is a pellet shortage as of yet, but there is limited supply in both places. When I asked why the increase and such limited supply...... both places said limited availability of trucking and DEMAND is thru the roof. Just thought I'd share... Hope many have gotten their supply for the season??

Be thankful you all got your pellets here in the HV because the price has gone UP!!!! At Lowe's & HD they went from $239 to $270 at ton and Green Team went from $300 to $350!!! I wouldn't say there is a pellet shortage as of yet, but there is limited supply in both places. When I asked why the increase and such limited supply...... both places said limited availability of trucking and DEMAND is thru the roof. Just thought I'd share... Hope many have gotten their supply for the season??

HD in Mohegan Lake put a 2 ton limit on purchases of pellets and raised the price by $10 to $249/ton. As noted above, the Green Supremes they have are burning real dirty in my stove. I ordered "Heat'rs" which I tried out and found to be quite nice. Low ash, great heat and uniformly small pellet size. They seem to have a decent supply and are expecting another delivery today [Oct 16].

Reactions: Peterfield
Have not been in the store in over a week. will have to check out the prices over the weekend. wondering if this is all the local stores of just the lower Hudson valley??

Pellet hoarding this year is absolutely crazy!! I have lived in the Hudson Valley since 1969 and have NEVER saw two bad winters in a row and last year was the coldest by length of duration on record. Sit tight pellet people, I doubt there will be an issue this year :)

Reactions: Peterfield
We just moved to New Paltz and it will our first winter using pellets. No experience so far.

A lot of brands have been mentioned in this thread and shopping for pellets seems more complicated than I thought. It appears that certain brands should avoided ( Green Supreme, North americans, Pennington), is that right?. :)

Anyway, I would love to order a delivery to stock up this weekend. When I go shopping around (Lowe's, HD, Tructor supply in poughkeepsie/highland; any other stores?), what brand pellets should I buy? Presto?

what brand pellets should I buy? Presto?
We just moved to New Paltz and it will our first winter using pellets. No experience so far.

A lot of brands have been mentioned in this thread and shopping for pellets seems more complicated than I thought. It appears that certain brands should avoided ( Green Supreme, North americans, Pennington), is that right?. :)

Anyway, I would love to order a delivery to stock up this weekend. When I go shopping around (Lowe's, HD, Tructor supply in poughkeepsie/highland; any other stores?), what brand pellets should I buy? Presto?

Hard to know until you see what's available. I tried Green Supreme this year and found them to be filthy and low heat. Others have different experiences. The Heat'rs I tried were very nice so that is what I stocked up on. In a perfect world, try a bag or two and decide for yourself . Worst that is likely to happen if you make a less than perfect choice is you will have to clean the stove more often. In any event you will want to drag home a bag or 3 of any new pellet you see in a store even if you have a decent supply at home already, try it, and in short order you will get a feel for the differences and what works best for you.

Go to 11 Water Street. There is a place called AF warehouse. Very nice guy, not sure what he sells, but I can guarantee he sells better pellets than Lowe's. I used to buy my bio bricks from him when I worked down there.

Go to 11 Water Street. There is a place called AF warehouse. Very nice guy, not sure what he sells, but I can guarantee he sells better pellets than Lowe's. I used to buy my bio bricks from him when I worked down there.

I live right in Highland and just got my stove. I really did not expect this BS for pellets. I live 2 miles from Lowe's in highland and I went their last sunday when they were taking down their @237/ton sign, they said they had no stock. When I checked back monday CA-CHING $350 for hardwood in stock. I would definately go in on a co-op, what suppliers will ship right to consumers?

FWIW, here is what I have for prices. And I have found only a handful of places that are out, and no wonder at these prices.
Mid October
True Value NP Presto Logs 6 Bag Bags only until DEC
Page 300 Ton
Williams High Falls 305 TOn
Home Depot Heat'rs 5 Bag 240 Ton
Home Depot Stove Chow 5 Bag 240 Ton
Wappingers Allegany 280 Ton

Tractor Supply Nort America 254 Ton
Wal Mart KGN Pennington 4 Bag 200 Ton
Ashlie Green Gold (hardwood) 300 Ton
Lowes Green??? Hard 350 Ton
Bobby Corn 350 Ton
Hearth & Home (32 Rosendale) 320 Ton
Fireside Warmth Inc (28 KGN)
Ace Hardware Lignetics 279 Ton

And the guy in new paltz, that would be Bobby, he has corn only ($7/bag) now and was not overly enthusiastic that he would be getting more wood.

Mid October
Page 300 Ton

Bobby Corn 350 Ton

Any of these brands make decent pellets? I am ready to go and order if its good..

I live right in Highland and just got my stove. I really did not expect this BS for pellets. I live 2 miles from Lowe's in highland and I went their last sunday when they were taking down their @237/ton sign, they said they had no stock. When I checked back monday CA-CHING $350 for hardwood in stock. I would definately go in on a co-op, what suppliers will ship right to consumers?

FWIW, here is what I have for prices. And I have found only a handful of places that are out, and no wonder at these prices.
Mid October
Page 300 Ton

Bobby Corn 350 Ton

And the guy in new paltz, that would be Bobby, he has corn only ($7/bag) now and was not overly enthusiastic that he would be getting more wood.

HD in Mohegan Lake (Route 6 just East of Peekskill) has a new delivery of Heat'rs @ 249/ton. I saw at least 20 pallets this afternoon. I tried these pellets and they are nice. A Hardwood/Softwood blend with a nice 'piney' smell top them. Uniform small size (which I prefer. They remind me of the Fireside Ultras I burned last year.

Highland Lowes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 258
I purchased a ton of Fireside Ultra's yesterday from Home Depot in Poughkeepsie for $239.00 a ton. Good shoulder season pellet!

Status
Not open for further replies.