Hudson Valley..Ulster...permit or co needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nayslayer

Jul 23, 2011
wallkill,ny
I'm having stove installed in am. The installers said I didn't need any co,or permit for install. I've talked to a few folks and some also said no, but some said I should get co. I called the town and the elderly women said I needed to fill out permit paper for150.im passing on that for now,but will get insurence info from installers in case. I have already notified insurance company.any help would be appreciated, thanks

I would get a permit and get your C/O updated. I am in Dutchess and went through the same dilema (as most here probably do) when my stove was installed. I went down to town hall , obtained a permit ($50) and our local fire chief did the inspection. The installer may steer you away from that route - but since you are in NY - well.......... Your insurance co will definitely want to know it was installed correctly. And down the road if there is a problem or you go to sell the house - you will be glad you did.

I agree with Jump!

Get your permits and certificate of occupancy updated. I just bought a house 2 years ago in Long Island NY, and the seller had to rush to fix some minor issues to get a certificate of occupancy, otherwise my bank would not lend me the mortgage money without a current C/O.

the way it worked for me when i installed my pellet stove was i had to go the town offices, ask for the application, fill it out, provide all the technical info from the manual (just gave them a copy of the manual), paid the fee, had the town inspector drop by and approve it according to the stove manufacturer specs. then the stove gets put into the building plan on record in the town office and it is approved, and it meets all the standards of installation.

So i guess you have to go to your town office and ask. They may have a whole different process, that may be much simpler.

good luck.

by the way, love the Mets logo. grew up in Flushing. big fan, even when they suck so much! and the wallkill area is beautiful this time of year, you must love living there? perfect place for wood burning.

Thanks Chunk. Yeah sucks being a Met fan, but what can you do. Not many people know of Wallkill, how did you fine it?

my ex girlfriend has family in New Paltz, so when we visited we traveled to the surrounding areas. Spring and Fall are great there. And the people are really nice. Great place to live. Maybe one day i will buy a nice house with a bit more space to store my pellets and fire wood. I can dream a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.