huge cottonwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdscj8

Feb 19, 2009
Eastern,Nebraska
i need to take down a 7 1/2 foot wide cottonwood this thing is wider then my dodge by about a foot and i dont think my CAT payloader will do the trick this time, and my saws not gonna cut it. What do you think the min size saw i should use that would be easy to find. the tree was hit by lightning 2 days ago and is still burning so hopefully by the time its done it won't be as big.

Dig the roots out on three sides with a backhoe and push it over with the payloader?

i thought about that but i cant get to the back side with the payloader to push cause the ground is to soft its a irrigated field the payoader will sink it weighs 88,000 lbs i dont have anything big enough to pull it out if i sink and im not gonna get in front of it and pull. it sits at the point of a waterway i only have one way for it to fall and thats into the waterway i dont want it to fall into the corn fields and get it going too.

Leave it standing until things dry out?

the tree is still burning inside its preaty dead and flames are comin out of the limbs i dont wont it to fall or limbs to fall and catch a field on fire i dont care if the grass start on fire theres not much of it there and i can replant that anytime i cant replant the corn. i'm not feelin the best after my little run in with the spiders so i have some people comin down to help do something tonight.

Minumum 046 MAG - 30" bar - full skip chisel.
Shave off the root bell all the way around- open face notch - bore out 40% of notch ,back cut + 8 wedges, 6 on the back and 1 each behind 5" minimum hinge.

Put an ad on craigslist for free wood!
I need to see a picture of this burning tree!

gzecc said:
You could honestly say ready to burn right away!

gzecc said:
I need to see a picture of this burning tree!

Maybe jd could make the burning tree his avatar!

Peace,
- Sequoia

Make sure you get plenty of help and don't take any chances. When you're not feeling well, little mistakes
can turn into big ones in a hurry.

Can you just clear some of the crops from around it and let it burn out? It really doesn't sound like it's worth messing with. I guess the wind could carry flames and hots to the other parts of your fields though....<sigh>

7.5 feet!?! Pictures, please!
(Do I ever feel inadequate now.... I was just cutting some 2" - 8" undergrowth last night!)

Don't take chances. I would make firebreak with mower, tillage around it and leave it alone. It is not worth getting anyone hurt. If wind don't blow sparks too far, that seems best. I realize now how many chances I took when young, but never hurt bad at all and wisdom is finally stting in. Take it from getting older Farmer. Of course I am not there.

No good advice from me, but O do want to see pictures! Here's some advice; For god's sake, be careful, whatever you do.

HalfwittingLEE said:
Minumum 046 MAG - 30" bar - full skip chisel.
Shave off the root bell all the way around- open face notch - bore out 40% of notch ,back cut + 8 wedges, 6 on the back and 1 each behind 5" minimum hinge.

I like it! +1 I could pull it off with a 28 in. lol and a 460

Status
Not open for further replies.