Huge wood score with the back pain to match!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
So, the guy down the road from me cleared out twelve acres of land last fall and has had the wood stacked or piled along the back tree line. I've had my eye on it for sometime. Long story short I was able to snag it all for $200 (I found out before hand he had a bunch of scrounger stop by and ask for the wood for free). My first estimation was that it was about 7 cords. But, now that I've gotten in there and poked around more, I'm pretty sure it is 10-14 cords, maybe more.

I was making some good progress, but I bit off more than I could lift and pulled some muscles in my lower back last night. First time screwing up my back. I went for a 4 mile run afterwards to prevent it from getting stiff. Seemed to work but I won't be hauling any wood today, that's for sure. I'll try to post some picks of the piles of wood later tomorrow.

BrowningBAR said:
So, the guy down the road from me cleared out twelve acres of land last fall and has had the wood stacked or piled along the back tree line. I've had my eye on it for sometime. Long story short I was able to snag it all for $200 (I found out before hand he had a bunch of scrounger stop by and ask for the wood for free). My first estimation was that it was about 7 cords. But, now that I've gotten in there and poked around more, I'm pretty sure it is 10-14 cords, maybe more.

I was making some good progress, but I bit off more than I could lift and pulled some muscles in my lower back last night. First time screwing up my back. I went for a 4 mile run afterwards to prevent it from getting stiff. Seemed to work but I won't be hauling any wood today, that's for sure. I'll try to post some picks of the piles of wood later tomorrow.

that much wood try and find someone that will work for cash makes it a little easier on your back and the wood is still very cheep

smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:

that much wood try and find someone that will work for cash makes it a little easier on your back and the wood is still very cheep

I was thinking about that. I was also thinking about borrowing one of the oversized work trucks my neighbor has so I can move more wood in each trip. The great thing is that the wood is only about three quarters of a mile from my house.

I'm almost 52 now and I've been getting my own wood in for 10 years or so now. I also have a back that 1st went out 20 years ago or so and tends to give me problems if I'm not careful. I picked up a weight-lifting belt at a garage sale and always wear it whenever I'm lifting, cutting, splitting, etc. It seems to help protect the lower back.

BrowningBAR said:
smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:

I was thinking about that. I was also thinking about borrowing one of the oversized work trucks my neighbor has so I can move more wood in each trip. The great thing is that the wood is only about three quarters of a mile from my house.

3/4 of a mile I wouldnt worry about moving hudge amounts at a time seems to break up the day moving more loads and keeps your back at differnt heights just my 2 cents

wayneg said:
I'm almost 52 now and I've been getting my own wood in for 10 years or so now. I also have a back that 1st went out 20 years ago or so and tends to give me problems if I'm not careful. I picked up a weight-lifting belt at a garage sale and always wear it whenever I'm lifting, cutting, splitting, etc. It seems to help protect the lower back.

Thanks. I might look into that.

smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:

3/4 of a mile I wouldnt worry about moving hudge amounts at a time seems to break up the day moving more loads and keeps your back at differnt heights just my 2 cents

Normally I would agree, but we have had so much rain here that I am running out of days when the ground is hard enough that I don't have to worry about getting the truck stuck. Once it stays cold here and we get a few good storms the ground will remain very soft until the spring... or until it freezes.

BrowningBAR said:
smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:
smokinjay said:
BrowningBAR said:

Normally I would agree, but we have had so much rain here that I am running out of days when the ground is hard enough that I don't have to worry about getting the truck stuck. Once it stays cold here and we get a few good storms the ground will remain very soft until the spring... or until it freezes.

that would be an advantage to running smaller loads heavier you are the more chance of getting stuck

can you go out there in the mornings when the ground would be colder and hopefully firmer or still frozen? That is the way most people work in the transitional seasons here. Been on lots of work sites that we drove into in the morning and had to be towed out in the afternoon by the cat.

’berta Burner said:
can you go out there in the mornings when the ground would be colder and hopefully firmer or still frozen? That is the way most people work in the transitional seasons here. Been on lots of work sites that we drove into in the morning and had to be towed out in the afternoon by the cat.

Unless it is frozen, the ground is usually wetter and softer in the morning. If it is sunny it will firm up a bit later in the afternoon. Right now the ground is in good shape. But it is getting colder quickly and I fear one more good rain storm might cause me problems for the rest of the winter.

My back is feeling good enough where I will make another visit today. Gather 'smaller' rounds and I'll start organizing the large piles so I can easily load them into the truck the next time.

The back brace has really helped me out a ton too! My father-in-law also gave me a little bit of advice since I also have some
problems with my lower back- he always pops in a couple Ibuprofen in a few hours before he goes out to relax the muscles
some, seems to really help out too!

Better than the herniated disc I ended up with from the last 5 years of scrounging some monster logs - in addition to moving about 20 tons of stone and building stone walls. Throw that on top of playing sports and working hard all my life.

Consider yourself lucky as I I make my appointment for the consultation with the surgeon. Lucky for me it is only a partial discectomy...

PICS PLZ?!

BrowningBAR said:

Ok, You officially suck.
Nice score! What kind or is it a mix?
Around here, I think that would be gone before I even knew it was there. LOTS of folks burn up here!

Dave

Browning, just be careful and work slow. For sure that ground should freeze up where you are and it won't be long before that happens unless we have an unusually mild fall and early winter. Apparently the fellow is not in a hurry to have it moved so just take it slow and easy. Your back will appreciate it.

PapaDave said:
BrowningBAR said:

Ok, You officially suck.
Nice score! What kind or is it a mix?
Around here, I think that would be gone before I even knew it was there. LOTS of folks burn up here!

Dave

I kept putting it off and putting it off. I thought for sure by the time I got around to asking about it it would have been claimed already. There are a LOT of wood burners here, but it seems most of them are really cheap and refuse to grease any palms. $200 was money well spent from my perspective.

And as far as the wood, it is a mix. Of what, I have no idea. I DO suck at identifying wood.

Fantastic score there Browning. My back is aching just thinking about moving all of that wood. Surprised that you didn't drop a nut too!

If you end up with what you estimate, you're damn near stealing it.
Although, my sister-in-law just bought a place near us with 10 acres of mostly oak and maple. I'm gonna' hafta' "help" her with that. ;-)
She had it surveyed, and they had to drop a nice big white pine and a couple of oaks. I see lumber AND firewood in my future!

Dave

I will have to try to the weight belt / back brace when splitting and stacking, etc. myself ... as soon as my lower back is good enough for me to walk w/o a cane all day. Don't know what the %&#* set it off this time, but it's a doozey. Been seein' the chiropractor 2x / wk. Living on ibuprophen, and icing my back a lot (chiro sez not to use heat - waa). The last time I aggrevated it, it was haulin' the big pine rounds that turned out to be some of the most expensive "free" wood I've ever gotten (and mostly fatwood at that). That was about 9 months ago. This time, I have no idea what I did; it could be something as simple as blowing my nose. It's been about 4 weeks or so and is taking its sweet time getting better which is very fustrating with all I should be doing around the house before So. Calif's idea of winter (some rain and 40 deg F temps, w/ a FEW frosts) sets in.

I picked up about 1/2 a Ranger load of green Ash the other night. I didn't take any of the bigger (18" x 22") rounds, either, and I used a wheelbarrow to get the wood from the stack to the truck. Still, not fun. Bummer, too, 'cuz there was prolly about a cord of green ash (very green, "wet" and heavy green ash) I COULD have had if my back were okay.

I hope it gets better soon - I've gotta clean the gutters and install screens before we get any decent rain, and I need to clean up the side yard so I can fit more wood there. This is a good time of year to scrounge in So. Calif. 'cuz of the winds blowing down branches (and some entire trees).

Peace,
- Sequoia

Jags said:
Hell, the 4 mile run would have done ME in.

Nice score....slow down old man **ducks and runs**

I think the 4 mile run saved my ass. I feared laying on the couch would have tightened it up. Last night I felt pretty bad when I went to bed. Now I feel pretty good and I could have probably made a wood run if needed, but we are suppose to have good weather this weekend and I wanted to make sure I could do at least four or five loads a day on Saturday and Sunday.

BrowningBAR said:
Jags said:
Hell, the 4 mile run would have done ME in.

Nice score....slow down old man **ducks and runs**

I think the 4 mile run saved my ass. I feared laying on the couch would have tightened it up. Last night I felt pretty bad when I went to bed. Now I feel pretty good and I could have probably made a wood run if needed, but we are suppose to have good weather this weekend and I wanted to make sure I could do at least four or five loads a day on Saturday and Sunday.

I replace the running with beer. Lots and lots of beer. Has the same effect of getting me all loose and stuff.

i agree with jags, slow down a bit and dont think for a minute that it wont happen again! seems like after the first time, it happens alot faster and easier. but if it does, dont be afraid to try a few cold ones, it has helped me in the past. ;-)

BrowningBAR said:

You paid $200 for 10-14 cords??? Wow, you got ripped off!!! lol

Seriously, that is one HECK of great score! Even though it's not "free," it's close, there's a ton of it, and heck you're only paying about $20 a cord!!!

NP

If you can find a good sports med Dr like a phisiatrist get some specific back strengthening exercises for your back . I found a guy about 15 years ago after years of seeing other docs and the chiro with no success and doing the set of exercises he gave me mostly stretching and mild strength my back was better in a few weeks and I still do the exercises every time I feel a twinge in the back and I am good as new in a day or two. The other thing is when the rounds are too big to roll up onto the trailer I split them into a size I can handle.
Good luck I still remember how bad it hurt when I could only roll off the side of the bed and then it would take me 10 minutes to get up from there or when I sold my Vett because I could not get in it for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.