Hugel Pots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
Strawberries love them. The concept should work well with mushrooms too. Maybe I will try that down the road. This is 1 of the 1 1/2 strawberry plants that made it outside through the winter. Still nursing the 1/2.

I personally don't recommend wood for every vegetable plant because of aphids. But they rock berries.

e62cb7d4-cc85-4038-90e2-9f52db246399_zps79892b61.jpg

nice. i had never heard of Hugel pots. thanks for sharing.

I walk through the woods and pick up stray fallen sticks and mix them in with the potting soil. Top the buckets off with grass clippings as mulch.

One guy used logs for larger containers. I find the sticks work well for my needs.

I am trying this out this year, inspired by this fellow who has been doing methodical testing of hugelkultur in his garden and blogging about them for a couple years. Plan on getting lost for a while. He has some very interesting results.

http://lowcostvegetablegarden.blogspot.com

Lol. That is the guy I mentioned who uses logs. I have been doing these buckets for about 2 years now.

Last edited:
He seems to be trying this method on all sorts of veggies.

Just used an upside down and backwards stair case from a job and filled it with soft logs, sticks, compost, and such. Now it's a 4 tier strawberry planter. Fingers are crossed.

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Wow, just spent my lunch reading about these, I've never heard of the hugel concept. Last year I just planted a few cherry tomatoes next to the house, but am trying to decide where to place a larger vegetable garden this year (already have the plants started in-doors but they NEED to be transplanted this weekend! My problem is the only areas of the yard that get a decent amount of sun, also are on a slope so they dry out quickly.

I just dropped a rotting tree at the edge of the yard and rolled them in the creek bed, I might pull them out and try the mound thing and see how it works.

Maybe try terracing the slope with some wood buried at the deepest side of the terrace?

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
I'm trying hugel culture as an experiment in one location and bio-char in another to see how things grow with these adaptations.

Reactions: vinny11950
Having my morning coffee and then off to work on more pots and my garden.

I need to get my act together with the bio-char. I have only heard good things about it. I have to be careful with hugels. They bring the bugs and moles. Like every other method, what works for one person doesn't work for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.