1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Human powered helicopter

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by jharkin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    raybonz and BrianK like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Pretty darn cool. Considering a human can typically produce a max of 1.2 hp (and that is briefly), that thing has to be ultra efficient. Imagine getting the machine design down and then adding a 6 hp honda engine. Fun for the whole family.==c

I think the crash landing just caused a bunch more hours of fixing stuff, though.:confused:
  3. jharkin

jharkin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Holliston, MA USA
    Im really amazed that they could do it at all. Human fixed wing aircraft flight is extremely difficult as it is and this is a lot harder.

Trivia - my r/c flying club is in the Boston suburbs and one of our members, Mark Drela, is an MIT aeronautical engineering professor who was one of the faculty advisors for the Daedalus project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_Daedalus
    http://library.propdesigner.co.uk/daedalus.pdf

He once gave a talk at our meeting and explained how the aircraft was built (a lot of similarity to methods and materials used in r/c gliders - the wing was mostly foam and mylar with some carbon fiber) and how they calculated the power required. I dont remember the details but the olympic cyclist who "flew" the plane had to work at something like 90+% of his cardio capacity nonstop for almost 4 hours
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    :eek: - I'm out.;lol
    Dune and PapaDave like this.
  5. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    "I dont remember the details but the olympic cyclist who "flew" the plane had to work at something like 90+% of his cardio capacity nonstop for almost 4 hours"

I couldn't do that when I was in shape.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You could tell just by watching him start to pedal that it was hard work. Need someone that is a good sprinter or a combination of sprinter and long-distance. Still would be a fun project.
  7. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Interesting how the styrofoam (I'm guessing) seat disintegrated on impact like the crumple zone on a car. Well thought out and designed.