Humidification & Filtration when burning a Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ4174

Jul 26, 2008
South Eastern PA
Hey Folks...

Anyone use any sort of humidifier and/or air filter when burning your pellet stove? I have a filter in my forced hot air furnance I can use, however that's running the 220V blower for no reason. I also have a humidifier built into the furnace that 'sorta' works...

Any thoughts or suggestions... Thanks...

I keep a pot of water on my stove, But don't amount to much. I also don't use the bathroom fan in winter. I like the added moisture.

You can have one going, Would help with a moist environment.

The pellet furnaces have removable filters, But they also have huge fans 800 cfm. I don't think the average stove with a low cfm fan can afford lossing any more cfm with a filter added.

jay

I have to use a whole house humidifier when I burn my pellet stove - Just too darned dry without it. I put 7 gallons of water out a day during the coldest part of the winter. Pellet stoves just suck the moisture right out of the air with or without an OAK.

I have a heat pump for my main heating system which has a humidifier on the air handler. I have two pellet stoves, one on the main floor, and one in the basement. Both are used as supplement heating sources.

I have purchased two inexpensive humidifiers (under $100/ea) from Lowes that I run when my pellet stoves are running. It helps a great deal since my heat pump seldom kicks on when running the pellet stoves.

Before getting the pellet stove, the hot air furnace would make my house
so dry we would get nosebleeds in the winter. Had to run a humidifier constantly.

Since the furnace doesn't run much anymore, the nosebleeds have stopped
and a steaming tea kettle every now and then keeps the humidity levels
where they should be.

We had to go out and by a humidifier last season. It's not rated to do the square footage that we have (2100), but it worked fine. During the day, I keep it the room with the stove and at night in our bedroom. Absolutely made a difference.

I bought one of these from Sears a few years ago. Has 2 large plastic water bottles you remove and take to the sink to fill, and also has built-in replaceable air filters.

Attachments

• ES-HU-HD14WH-175.jpg
    ES-HU-HD14WH-175.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 661
Macman-I believe we have that exact model, from the Home Cheapo- have you purchased new filters yet, if so where and how much? Thanks

I use a small humidifier in the winter regardless of whether
running the pellet stove or the furnace.

Utilitrack said:
Macman-I believe we have that exact model, from the Home Cheapo- have you purchased new filters yet, if so where and how much? Thanks

FiltersUSA.com......I sent you a PM

I use a Holmes 1895 humidifer and run it non stop. It uses about 7 gallons in a 24 hour period I think. I fill the reservoir once in the AM and once in the PM. It has a 3.5 gallon reservoir.

Mark :)

Last year in a pinch as we didn't have a humidifier yet we used a couple Vick's vaporizers without the medicine in it just water and found they worked really well so we just stuck with those.

One of the reasons we purchased a pellet stove was to help control high humidity in the winter. Our house is very tight and the furnace is in the garage so no air exhausted there. We have an air exchanger which was probably sized for a comparable house with furnace inside the house. Anyways the pellet stove removes just enough moist air that the air exchanger can cycle on and off to maintain around 40% Relative Humidity in the house. So in my case I don't need (or want) an OAK Outside Air Kit, and the humidity in the house is maintained right where we want it by the air exchanger.

Status
Not open for further replies.