humidifier help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

utahdl

Jan 16, 2007
I was considering buying one of those acorn water steamers that sit on the stove, but have a few concerns.

If the stove is running hot will I have to fill it constantly?

Does any water ever spill over, if so will it stain the stove?

Will it leave a ring on the stove by simply sitting on the stove, even if no water spills?

Thanks in advance.

utahdl said:
I was considering buying one of those acorn water steamers that sit on the stove, but have a few concerns.

If the stove is running hot will I have to fill it constantly?

Does any water ever spill over, if so will it stain the stove?

Will it leave a ring on the stove by simply sitting on the stove, even if no water spills?

Thanks in advance.

Constantly - no, quite often - depends on the use and temp - probably no more than 1 or 2X per day depending on its capacity,

Spilling - it could stain the stove, or if painted steel or cast iron, you could get some surface rust, which is easily taken care of with paint at the end of the season.

Ring with no water spillage - I don't think ot would. I've always used a steamer of some sort, and have never seen that.

I do not have a tremendous amount of space on my insert so I have one of those 1/2 kettles on there. It definitely gets filled up daily or more but that is no big deal. I fill it when I am reloading the stove, especially at night before bed or in the AM. It is much better when it is not so HOT!

If you fill them too much and you get a boil going, you can get some spillage. My biggest issue is I have slightly hard water so it does show when you boil down pot after pot of water. I have to clean the crusty-ness off the kettle now and again and repaint it annually. Sometimes my wife does not pay as much attention to detail as I (read - does not listen) and filles it too high or pushes it back flush up against the surround and we get some spillage, results in a bit of rust and or calcium deposits. You need to avoid scraping it when you take it off and put it on. Nothing a bit of paint wont fix.

It really is just another small thing to manage along with everything else in the world of burning wood.

I use just a standard tea pot like for the kitchen. I have painted it black with stove paint. What I like about it is when the stove starts getting a little over heated the whistle will blow.
Don

Note that at least one of our users, Elk, reported that his wife put potpourri stuff in the pot on his enamel topped VC, and it boiled over - essentially it DESTROYED the porcelain enamel finish, which is something that can be difficult if not impossible to repair.

I would say that you should be extremely cautious or totally avoid steamers and the like on top of a porcelain finish stove, but other stoves should be fine as noted by others earlier. (one reason I prefer the classic black paint finishes)

Gooserider

Thanks for all of the replies. I ended up buying an acorn type steamer at Lowe's for $9.97. There was one for sale at a local fireplace store for $75.00. I couldn't believe it

No offense, but that lil acorn steamer is going to be more for show & not much humidity.
I bought a console type humidifier off ebay brand new, lists for $169.00 got on ebay for $36.00 total including shipping.
It helps so far in the 2400 sq main part of the house,, but I am not churning the insert to max yet either.
I can see maybe needing yet another one. Ain't no way anything small could make any dent in my place anyways.

I went to Wally world and bought a warm mist humidifier for $40.00 and I don't have to worry about spillage, running out, nothing. Fill it once in the morning, ( 1.5 gallon capacity), and once in the evening. Hakuta Matata

Status
Not open for further replies.