Humidifier: Lasko 1128 vs Vornado HU1-0021-28

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SXIPro

Minister of Fire
Sep 28, 2009
Northern MA
Never touched the Vornado, but have heard its a good unit from a member on here..

The Lasko is a pretty good unit, that I have experience with. We leave it run on Low all day and night. It goes through about 3 gallons this way. In the dead of Winter, we run it on Med while we are home and Low while asleep or away. Replacement Wick Filters are about $4-$6. I just ordered 5 from Lasko a couple months ago. It was about $30 shipped to the house. Should be set for a decade now. . . . If the pump lasts 10 yrs.....????? (Hoping)??????

hmm. they rate that lasko for 3200 sq. feet. not sure how much i believe that. but it could be. it has a bigger tank than the vornado (which i own)

*edit. if dexter is getting three gallons on low from that *same* lasko model, that seems like a better output than mine on low.
interesting. perhaps the low settings are different. on medium i think i get that same three gallon rate.

but i have no real reason not to believe that rating on the lasko. that's just my first reaction.
that's over three times what they rate the vornado.
if it's true, that's pretty great.
and i know a few folks here have the larger lasko. so my impression is they are a good product too.

i'd hate to steer you wrong without knowing more about the lasko.

*edit. i just noticed you aren't trying to do the whole house.
for just your main living area, the vornado should be great)

the vornado has a five year warranty as opposed to one year on the lasko.

sorry i can't be more help regarding both models.
i have been using the same wicks on my vornado since i got it. i plan on using them the whole season.
i ordered some 10% iodine solution and am adding a few drops maybe once a week or so to keep the wicks disinfected.

i was too rough cleaning the wicks the first time. too much hand wringing/squishing.
i used a bleach solution once. and that seemed to keep them from ever getting smelly again. but i'm hoping the iodine will be a long term solution and then i will only be cleaning them to remove the actual dust etc.. from the spots where the vent gaps are.

there is just no way i'm going to spend to replace the wicks as often as they suggest.

i'm not sure the vornado puts out 9 gallons a day like they say the lasko does.
if i let it run on high overnight, i have to change the tank in the morning.
i think my tank is 1.5 gal. the bigger tank on the lasko could be a nice thing.
i do like how the vornado circulates. it really helps move the heat from off the ceiling in the stove room. but i think the 1000 sq. foot rating is about it's max. we have 925 sq. feet. and i wouldn't want to try and make it do more and expect good results.
the doorway fan in my living room helps move the humid air to the back of our linear layout ranch.

the low setting on the vordnado is almost silent. i run it on low overnight. figure to save some electricity that way.

this wick on the lasko looks to be exactly the same as the vornado.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51yEEJy6ZhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

good luck.

If its on High, it will def hit the 9 gallon mark. You will be filling the fill jug like Mad. Never hit High though. Pretty noisy on High and pretty quiet on Low.

If your just trying to do the room, then either unit will fit the bill. So pick the one that you like the best and will fit the decor in your home/room. Neither of them should have a problem with that sized area.

I actually like the look of the Vornado better.

I agree on the looks for sure. The Lasko is a bit 'hospitalish' looking, I am currently running a little Vicks unit that is white with a blue tinted reservoir and it sticks out like a sore thumb, plus it just doesn't put out nearly enough moisture. My stove is black, coffee table is black, entertainment center is black....so yeah, the Vornado would fit in or hide better in the room.

Thanks for all the input guys!!

sorry. rethought the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.