Humidifier Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I need to add a free standing humidifier. We have the pot of water sitting on the stove, but it's just not enough. Any recommendation's?

Tom

I like the cheapo Vicks steam humidifiers myself and run a pair in the bedrooms in the winter as needed...holds a gallon or 1.5 gal I think and disburses it over about 5-6 hours...I'm cheap and these are $16 at Wally World, Target and the grocery stores and they last me about 2-4 years. Side benefit is they help keep the air warmer because they're making warm steam, not cool mist. Cosdest room I've ever been in in my house was the bedroom when we bought a cool mist humidifier...the temp stayed low in that room as long as we ran the humidifier...I know the cool mist ones are supposed to be better for you and are certainly more energy efficient as a standalone item, but when you have to burn more BTU's to keep the room comfortable I think the energy savings are dubious.

Have your wife wash clothes and dry them near the stove.

we have three shower-takers at my house. in the winter we all leave the doors open and the exhaust fan off. Helps a little, but not much. In order to really make a difference, the water needs to be misted or steamed into the air, pots of water, etc just won't make a big difference. Clothes have a lot of wet surface area, so I could see that actually making a difference.

I'm going to get one, sounds like the misting type would work. Hopefully it will help with the dry throat in the morning

xman23 said:
I need to add a free standing humidifier. We have the pot of water sitting on the stove, but it's just not enough. Any recommendation's?

Tom

I've found that stacking stove wood near the stove for up to a few weeks before burning
A) Dries out any wood substantially- burns lots better in EPA stove,
B) Humidifies the whole house measurably (per hygrometer.)

You just have to watch that you don't overdo it, like in a really, really "tight" house. K.I.S.S.

CT, I do like the natural approach, sounds like one of my idea's. But a pile of smelly wet wood drying in the living room wouldn't fly with my wife. Went out tonight to Sears and picked up an evaporative type, 2500 sq ft whole house humidifier. It has digital display showing the humidity level and your desired level. The fan speed is automatic or manual. Been running all night, in an hour it raised the humidity 10 percent, so far it feels great.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.