1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Humidifier question

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by deadeye316, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye316

deadeye316 New Member

Loc:
    Amsterdam, ny
    I just had a omega installed and had it running for the first full night last night. I didnt set up any humidifiers yet. I purchased a 2.8 gallon humidifier for the living room where the stove is and a 1 gallon one for where we sleep.

Should that be enough to help with the dry air?

At night when we are sleeping should i just run the one in our room and turn the other one off?

Just wondering because last night was the first time with the baby and she sleeps usually through the night. Last night she was up alot.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bit_flores

bit_flores Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I keep a Bionaire W-6 running on low speed with the Humidistat setting set to about 6 on the dial scale. This humidifier is located right in front of my pellet stove. That way, the hot air coming out of the pellet stove picks up the moisture right away! My house is a split level setup, with the pellet stove in the lower level. The lower level has an "open area" concept design, so the heat from the pellet stove has a natural air flow to the upper level. I keep a Fisher Scientific Temp/Humidity measurement device up stair to monitor the vitals.

Our humidity hovers about 40-50%. You don't want the humidity above 50% here's a decent link about humidity:
    http://www.highqproducts.com/allergies_and_humidity.php

Remember to use a bacteriostat in your humidifier. Keep the buggies from your water & air! Info: "Bacteriostatic Treatment reduces and controls the formation of bacteria, fungi, algae, and prevents unpleasant odors such as mildew. To help reduce accumulation, it's important not to leave the humidifier unused or with water sitting in the base and tank for long periods of time."
  3. deadeye316

deadeye316 New Member

Loc:
    Amsterdam, ny
  4. bit_flores

bit_flores Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    I have not idea on the quality of a Radio Shack humidity measurement device.. It has to be better than nothing. The price is a good, so give it a try.
  5. drewmo

drewmo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Maine
  6. davevassar

davevassar Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    I call Radio Shack Donkey Shack.
  7. Dougsey

Dougsey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Epping, NH
  8. packerfan

packerfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    The humidifiers you have should be sufficient to do the job. I guess it's up to you if you want to keep the one on in the living room while your asleep. It will still help with the humidity level, but you probably only really need to run the one in the bedroom (if needed/wanted) while you're asleep.
  9. deadeye316

deadeye316 New Member

Loc:
    Amsterdam, ny
    I purchase the one recommended and works great. I like the feture to preset the digital humidity. I am going to buy a new one for our room. We got one from the a baby shower and its a piece of junk. With the Humidifier going it helps cool the room the stove is in which is really nice.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.