Humidify or Not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brink

Dec 31, 2008
Western Central New Jersey
I guess I'm doing something right cause my house is hot and dry. Bought a humidifer and have it in the master bedroom. Wood insert is down the hall in the living room. Back in the bedroom, with the humidifier only running throughout the night, in the morning, the windows have moisture on the upper sashes. Thre were even some small water drops on the ceiling on the outside wall. I suspect some insulation leakage in the attic.
Should I move the humidifier to the same room the insert is in? I'm thinking it would evaporate before it made it to the bedroom.
Anyone?

Some moisture on the windows is good, but the ceiling is bad. I would check out that insulation, warm and moist equals mold/mildew.

Do you have a temp/humidity sensor in the house. Its worth there weight in gold. I have been consistent 30% humidity this winter with no amplifying device. (this is due to a dirt floor basement) Although my mothers house is closer to 19%, very dry. She recently had the kitchen all redone and painted and there is visible cracks along seams from this extreme drying.

I think normal humidity is between 35% and 55%. I have found moisture on my windows in the beginning of the season which worked out to be about 45 to 50% humidity.

Since your the condensation issue is in the bedroom, yes move it out to another part of the house. Humidity will eventually permeate the entire house--so don't be overly concerned that it will completely dissipate before it gets to the bedroom. My portable humidifier is located in the basement in the same room as the stove. Keep in mind that as the temp drops outside the windows and your poorly (?) insulated bedroom wall will show condensate easier. I have to dial back the humidifier as outdoor temps go down overnight.

No-no, get it out of your bedroom and into your stove room. You sit in that bedroom all night breathing water into the air and if the humidity runs up past 50% then your bed becomes the ideal location for dust mites. Icky little creatures that I for one am allergic to. Bedrooms need to be dry. Your stove room will likely be much drier and will be a better place to add the water.

I wouldn't even run the humidifier if the RH in your bedroom exceeds 50%. Even if the stove room is 10%. My stove room cruises at 16% RH (I believe the guage can't go any lower) and the bedroom at 49-53% with no humidiifers.

Outta the BR. You want the water to evaporate...that's what makes it part of the air. The warm air in the stove room can accept a lot of moisture into solution (Relative Humidity). It will find its way through the home. When you're asleep in your bedroom, you are the room humidifier. You don't need another mechanical humidifier in that room with you. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.