Humidifying pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I tried getting the $7 one at Lowes but that won't be possible for another 8 months or so. Unlike Wal-mart they won't even order me one!

Anyways, where is a good place to get a cheap humidifying pot for the cook top of the wood stove?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

My cheap kettle was from a little hardware store in the boonies... It was probably like the $7.00 job you describe. My unit stunk like fish the first several times it burned dry. This is due to the fish oil they use in china to hold the sand together when they make the mold to cast iron. :-S

I actually found the one made by VC that'll match perfectly with my stove. $67 shipped but it'll probably make my wife piss and moan the least.

-Emt1581

My biggest concern w/ a pot for steaming water is that I want one where there is no chance that anything can ever boil over and get onto the top of the stove. It doesn't take too long for spits of water to destroy a stove top.

The steamer I have is awesome but unfortunately I haven't found another online (really haven't looked that hard though). It's a glazed ceramic pot w/ a lid that is sort of chimney shaped. I set it on a trivet so it never gets going so much that it boils dry, and I just keep filling it up. A few times a winter I'll throw it in the dishwasher to clean it up a bit. If you have a potter in town (or have family w/ a kid in art at school) one could be made pretty easily.

A small pic of it can be seen in my sig or if you click on the "englander 30 doing it's job" link at the bottom of my post.

pen

I use nothing. No pot, no steamer, and I don't cook on the stoves. I make enough mess with the wood. I don't need to find additional ways to make the stove areas more of a mess.

just recently started using a stainless steel bowl. its holds about 16 oz. or so 2/3 full and with a few drops of eucalyptus oil it helps open the passages. the eco fan is right next to it . pete

heatwise said:
just recently started using a stainless steel bowl. its holds about 16 oz. or so 2/3 full and with a few drops of eucalyptus oil it helps open the passages. the eco fan is right next to it . pete

That ecofan...what do you think of it? 2 or 3 blade?

-Emt1581

we have both, we like em. they just run on their own and do their thing. as with moving heat to or from a wood stove you dont need much to assist convection currents and they work fine helping us do just that. the 1st 2 blade fan is now on its 10th year running strong. the 3 blade is about 5 years old and a couple years ago we got a 3rd one that has 2 blades and some cutouts on the stand portion of the base. we have an appreciation for renewable energy tech stuff and dig how these operate. pete

CountryGal said:
I have the cast iron kettle on a trivet and put cinnamon sticks in the water. Smells fantastic! Got so hot tonight it really gave off a great aroma!

Love those cinnamon sticks, smells like grandma has been cooking all day. :)

I've been using my cheapo cast kettle for several years now, there is not a blemish on the stove top.

In my one season experience with a kettle: Water + Iron or Steel = Rust

I envy those of you with enameled stoves, as well as the users with non enameled stoves that have not rusted, and that a kettle can adequately humidify your environment.

IMHO, kettles are really pretty on a stove, but a "spit in the wind" for the amount of moisture required, at least in our home. And the yr I spent with one cast iron kettle was a pain, the inside of the kettle got quite nasty with rust, and slimy bacteria that loves the warm wet environment. And I was constantly refilling the damned thing.

The past two yrs during the heating season I have been using a MoistAir unit rated for 3000 sqft, that I fill each morning with ~ 5 gallons of water, RH is 32% at the moment. Downside is it draws current.

If you want to clean the calcium crud off your steamer drop half a lemon in and cook that for a while .The crud wipes right off(with stainless steel anyway).If this would be bad to do in a cast Iron pot I never said anything.
Guy

Mine is almost 20 years old, came from LL Bean and cost around $70, as I recall. It's rusted totally inside, and outside in large areas. LL Bean guarantees everything for life, so I know I could send it back to them and they'd replace it, but I don't have the nerve to do that.

I'm thinking of attacking it this summer with a Dremel tool or my drill with an abrasive whatchamacallit to remove the rust, and they maybe painting it with a stove paint?????

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Oh, and it sits on a trivet that also looks like heck.

Nancy

emt1581 said:
Anyways, where is a good place to get a cheap humidifying pot for the cook top of the wood stove?Thanks!-Emt1581

1) Garage sale.
2) Thrift store.

Just buy an old kitchen pot.
Metal coffee cans work, too.

If the humidity is low in your place, you have too much air leakage. Replace weatherstripping and seal up gaps as needed, you'll use less wood, too.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Mine is almost 20 years old, came from LL Bean and cost around $70, as I recall. It's rusted totally inside, and outside in large areas. LL Bean guarantees everything for life, so I know I could send it back to them and they'd replace it, but I don't have the nerve to do that.

I'm thinking of attacking it this summer with a Dremel tool or my drill with an abrasive whatchamacallit to remove the rust, and they maybe painting it with a stove paint?????

Nancy

Nancy, you could probably go ahead and return it if it bothers you, OR, get a battery charger and some baking soda and try electrolysis, it pops the rust right off, check it out, it's good science experiment stuff!

tickbitty said:
PopCrackleSnap said:

Nancy

Nancy, you could probably go ahead and return it if it bothers you, OR, get a battery charger and some baking soda and try electrolysis, it pops the rust right off, check it out, it's good science experiment stuff!

I recently cleaned up an old cast iron Dutch oven. It wasn't in really bad shape so it didn't take me long (just steel wool and such to clean it). I have seen the results of the electrolysis method and that method seems to work very well. Nancy, google 'seasoning cast iron' and you will find all kinds of tips.

We had a cast iron kettle on our older wood/coal stove and no matter how careful we were, we got water on the stove, which caused pits in the finish. With our metal wood stove, we don't want water marks all over.

We don't notice any difference in moisture; we'd fill that kettle twice/day but, as Madison previously posted, it was like a "spit in the wind". If you want humidity, I'd suggest getting a humidifier.

pen said:
My biggest concern w/ a pot for steaming water is that I want one where there is no chance that anything can ever boil over and get onto the top of the stove.

My experience with my cast iron pot is that it will steam but not boil, unlike a regular tea kettle or pot. It will also continue to steam at lower stove top temps, so it will produce more water vapor for a longer time than other pots.

Try a cast iron porcelain coated dutch oven sans cover.. I use that here and it came from Walmart for around 30 bucks... It's the best I have used so far....

Ray

I use a tall stainless stock pot, maybe 6-8 quart capacity. Fill it every 2? days. Doesn't rust, doesn't spit. Can sure tell if I let it run dry, sinuses start hurting almost instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.