Humidity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmaclaren

Dec 8, 2010
Seacoast, NH
So, I have been using my Harman PF100 pellet furnace since 12/15/10. In NH, my current home humidity is 35% at 21 degrees outside.

So, my humidity is in check as last year, with the Propane it was high. I still need to test the attic as it was too high, at least 10 - 15 higher than the living space.

All this humidity is without any humidifier in the house, I would have expected a much lower reading.

What is your humidity level?

Mine went to 16% inside, I then picked up a 14 gallon Humidifier from Sears, I set it to 35% and the house is about 30% at farthest points away.

If you have a forced-air furnace and it happens to have a bypass humidifier (whole-house humidification), you can easily rig your Humidifier to run when the furnace FAN is on. Normally, bypass humidifiers are configured to run only in heat mode, but many furnace control boards will allow you to connect the humidifier power line to an available port that provides power whenever the fan kicks on (for example, an electrostatic air cleaner port, since the air cleaner is designed to run whenever the fan is running). Of course, if you're using all of your available connections, then you can directly wire your humidifier into the furnace power box (requires some basic knowledge of electrical work). With the bypass humidifier re-wired, you can turn on your furnace fan when your pellet burner is running and humidify the whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.