Humming noise from Castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nmg13mx

Jan 11, 2016
Westminster, MD
I started up my Quadrafire Castile yesterday for the first time since last year and the fan is making a high pitch humming/whistle sound. It's not aweful but definitely noticeable. I don't remember it being this loud last season. Could the fan need to be replaced or is there a way to lube any of the spinning parts? I don't have anything to compare the noise to. Not sure how loud it should be. Thanks for any help.

How old is the stove? The convection blower? Neither blower requires oil per the manual page 32
http://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/7021_130.pdf

Sounds like the bearings are going but you should check and make sure it is not something caught in the blades. Most of these fans have sealed bearings but you might be able to buy a bit of time if you lube with 3-in-1 electrical oil as some might work it's way in. Best to start the search for a replacement.

Reactions: kappel15
How old is the stove? The convection blower? Neither blower requires oil per the manual page 32

Sounds like the bearings are going but you should check and make sure it is not something caught in the blades. Most of these fans have sealed bearings but you might be able to buy a bit of time if you lube with 3-in-1 electrical oil as some might work it's way in. Best to start the search for a replacement.
Stove is a 2005. It was bought from a private seller last year. Not sure if the blower or fan have been replaced in the past.

After doing some more reading, I may just need to take out and clean the convection blower real well. Thanks

Did you clean the exhaust blower and internal exhaust pathways before you installed? May want to get exhaust gasket (may have reusable silicone gasket but doubt it) and clean that up too. Make sure you blow out motor windings of both blowers or at least try to vacuum if no compressed or canned compressed air available. Dust bunnies in the windings are killers!

Reactions: kappel15
If the noise starts right away, it is the combustion fan. If it starts when the convection fan comes on, it is that fan. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Thanks kap, meant to question that but late enough that the brain was already in bed:)

I hear ya there Lake Girl. Problem is, it don't need to be late at nite for my brain any more. lol kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.