1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Humming Noise on Mt. Vernon AE

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Drew1024, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew1024

Drew1024 New Member

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Boy, that this beast put out some heat! Anyway, while running the unit, I hear a humming almost like a vibrating sound in the background. Dealer says its just air in the unit? Sounds like hmm, hmm, hmm every few seconds or so. Not very loud but noticeable nonetheless. Thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. swalz

swalz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Newark, DE
    could be when the auger is turning to feed pellets.
  3. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    Can you tell which side the hum is coming from?

If you hear the hum on the left side facing the stove I would bet it is the convection fan.

I had this problem and it eventually got worse. The dealer replaced it and I have not had further problems with it.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

I agree...try turning the heat setting (pellet feed) higher or lower and see if the time between "hums" increases or decreases.

Is this a brand new unit? If not, could be convection fan w/ some dust buildup on the fan blades causing it to be slightly out of balance and causing a resonance.
  5. kklockars@cox.net

kklockars@cox.net New Member

Loc:
    Northern RI
    Check the settings is the fan on quiet or std setting
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.